_type field filter vs. field filter performance

(Yee Ning Cheng) #1

I am trying to figure out how to setup my index mapping.

I currently have all my documents in one index and under one type. However, there is one field (~2000+ unique terms) in my document that could be used as a _type mapping. I am wondering if there is any difference in query performance if that field is a type mapping vs. as a single field. AFAIK, all a type mapping does is insert a _type field for that document.

Here is how I have it now:

index/general

{
f_id: 1,
name: "foo"
},
{
f_id: 2,
name: "bar"
}

Here is a potential example with using the field as a type mapping:

index/1
{
name: "foo"
}

index/2
{
name: "bar"
}

(Nik Everett) #2

I'd use the field over the type mapping. Just make sure it is a number or a keyword. That gives you the flexibility to make it multi-valued if you find you have to do that one day. Honestly, one type per index is way, way simpler if you can get away with it.

(Yee Ning Cheng) #3

Ok, so ease of use aside, is there any performance benefit to filtering on a type when querying?

(Nik Everett) #4

In 99% of the cases filtering on type is the same speed as filtering one term. If you happen to want to allow any one of many terms then filtering on a terms query is actually going to be faster.

(system) #5

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.