Can not be imported as a dangling index as index with same name already exists in cluster metadata

I keep getting following message in my logs:

[WARN ][o.e.g.DanglingIndicesState] [node3] [[.kibana/NkZmt7exQbqyARicEdkY1g]] can not be imported as a dangling index, as index with same name already exists in cluster metadata

I could try this

curl --request DELETE node3:9200/.kibana

but I'm afraid, it'd delete .kibana index across all nodes.

Please advise.

1 Like

Hi,

Have a look at this :

You should not delete the .kibana index as you would lose data in kibana. If you ever deleted .kibana indice, then this warning is the result of that past action

For reference so you know what is at stake : https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/settings.html
kibana.index:
Default: ".kibana" Kibana uses an index in Elasticsearch to store saved searches, visualizations and dashboards. Kibana creates a new index if the index doesn’t already exist.

What the error says is that on node3 you have a folder in data/node/x/indices/NkZmt7exQbqyARicEdkY1g that is related to indices .kibana for a non-recognised ID. As ES does not know why the folder is there, it ignores it and throws the warning.

If you recognised you have deleted the .kibana at some point (so you know the current id of the index has changed) and you are happy with the data you have is correct in the current index, and you want to avoid the recurrent warning messages, you would need remove that particular folder on the particular node...
As per any such operation, make sure you know you are only moving/deleting the correct folder (i.e. the folder containing data for an index which was recreated and is not needed data).

Thanks
Julien

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.