Elasticsearch X-Pack plugin breaks elasticsearch

I installed elasticsearch 5.3 and kibana 5.3 using the RPM repository on a Red Hat Enterprise Server running version 7. Then I installed the x-pack plugins using the "bin/kibana-plugin install x-pack" and "bin/kibana-plugin install x-pack" commands. Both plugin installs finished with no errors.
Both elasticsearch and kibana were working before I installed the x-pack plugins in both. Now elastic search dies after starting. In the elasticsearch log is "org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not load plugin descriptor for existing plugin [x-pack]. Was the plugin built before 2.0?". Is the elasticsearch x-pack plugin not compatible with 5.3?

What output do you get when you run this?
bin/elasticsearch-plugin list

bin/elasticsearch-plugin list
x-pack

Last time I got this error it was a permission issue on the x-pack plugin directory (I installed x-pack as root, and the elasticsearch user could not read the directory /usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins/x-pack). The specific error I got was "AccessDeniedException" but it was buried in the long stack trace.

org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not load plugin descriptor for existing plugin [x-pack]. Was the plugin built before 2.0?
 ...<snip>
Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins/x-pack/plugin-descriptor.properties

Did you by any chance added a zip file in elasticsearch plugins dir? Could you ls -l it?

Changing the permissions of the plugin folder and files fixed this problem. Now I am having trouble with Kibana. I will start a new topic for the new issue.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.