After upgrading Logstash to 6.4.1 It could not be started there is already another instance using the configured data directory

Hi,
After upgrading Logstash to version 6.4.1 using the package managers procedure bellow :
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/upgrading-using-package-managers.html

Logstash version has changed successfully to 6.4.1 using ./logstash -V command , but did't show up on kibana logstash list.

So I enabled the debug mode on logstash.yml file and got this message Error telling me that there is more than one instance on my server :

[2018-09-26T15:05:17,514][FATAL][logstash.runner] Logstash could not be started because there is already another instance using the configured data directory. If you wish to run multiple instances, you must change the "path.data" setting.
[2018-09-26T15:05:17,539][ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash] java.lang.IllegalStateException: Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SystemExit) exit

Knowing that i did't configure multiple instances of logstash and i have only one logstash.yml file and one path.data specified in it.

need your help please
Thanks,
Emna.

Are you using a service manager to run Logstash, or are you invoking it directly on the command line? Is it possible that you have it running in a different shell, or that the service manager has one running?

On Linux, it is possible to find a running process by name with ps aux | grep -i logstash.

Thanks for your return :slight_smile:
Im invoking it directly on the command line.
I already tried your command and got more than one process and tried to kill the process with kill -9 command but it won't always work for me .
So my current situation is that : sometimes the logstash appears on kibana and most of the time is not there and when ever it appears it has : 0 Events Ingested
any help ?
Thanks,
Emna.

My best guess is that your service manager is attempting to manage the service, so each time you kill it, the service manager brings it back up. I would advise tailing the logs to see what it is doing, and/or using your system's service manager to shut it down.

I enabled the debug mode on logstash.yml file and tailed the log

This is the result :
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,148][DEBUG][logstash.runner ] xpack.monitoring.elasticsearch.username: "logstash_system"
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,149][DEBUG][logstash.runner ] xpack.monitoring.elasticsearch.ssl.verification_mode: "certificate"
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,149][DEBUG][logstash.runner ] xpack.monitoring.elasticsearch.sniffing: false
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,149][DEBUG][logstash.runner ] xpack.monitoring.collection.pipeline.details.enabled: true
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,149][DEBUG][logstash.runner ] xpack.monitoring.collection.config.enabled: true
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,149][DEBUG][logstash.runner ] node.uuid: ""
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,149][DEBUG][logstash.runner ] --------------- Logstash Settings -------------------
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,199][DEBUG][logstash.config.source.multilocal] Reading pipeline configurations from YAML {:location=>"/etc/logstash/pipelines.yml"}
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,241][FATAL][logstash.runner ] Logstash could not be started because there is already another instance using the configured data directory. If you wish to run multiple instances, you must change the "path.data" setting.
[2018-09-28T11:13:04,251][ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash ] java.lang.IllegalStateException: Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SystemExit) exit

i got the same result when i run this command
/usr/share/logstash/bin/logstash --path.settings /etc/logstash --debug

Thanks,
Emna.

Have you tried telling your service manager to stop the service?

Yes i did , i used this command systemctl stop logstash
I made sure to kill other processes using : killall -9 --user user_name
The logstash is active and stable on kibana but like i mentioned is not ingesting any events ( 0 Events Received and 0 Events Emitted )

I'm working with 6.4.1 version for Elasticsearch , kibana and logstash but still working with a previous version for winlogbeats that i have installed on my Active directory servers.

Could it be a version compatibility problem ?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.