Is there a way to tag for different grok matches?

I am using the GELF Docker driver to send logs to Logstash. It has been working well so far but I am having trouble finding a good way to separate nginx access logs and nginx error logs. I was thinking that I would just add a take for each match like the following:

if [image_name] =~ /nginx/ {
    grok {
        match => [ "message", "%{INT:status} - %{NOTSPACE:referrer} - %{NOTSPACE:domain} - %{IPORHOST:clientip} - %{QS:request} %{INT:body_bytes_sent} %{QS:http_referer}" ]
        add_tag => [ "nginx_access" ]
    }
    grok {
        match => [ "message", "(?<timestamp>%{YEAR}[./]%{MONTHNUM}[./]%{MONTHDAY} %{TIME}) \[%{LOGLEVEL:severity}\] %{POSINT:pid}#%{NUMBER}: \*%{NUMBER:tid} %{GREEDYDATA:errormessage}, client: %{IP:client}" ]
        add_tag => [ "nginx_err" ]
    }
  }

This matches the first pattern, adds the tag but then fails on the second pattern and I end up with a _grokparsefailure. What's a good way to match and tag access/error logs correctly with GELF?

Wrap all but the first grok filter in a conditional so that the subsequent ones are only tried if there hasn't been a match earlier.

grok {
}
if "_grokparsefailure" in [tags] {
  grok {
    remove_tag => ["_grokparsefailure"]
  }
}

Thank, I'll give this a try. Will this work for a scenario where I have many grok patterns to try and many different tags to apply?

Sure, it'll work. Matching lots and lots of regexps against all messages is of course computationally expensive so you'll want to order your expressions wisely.

Makes sense. Thanks again.