Logstash 5.4.3 crash "Regexp Interrupted error(s)"

I'm seeing an issue similar to https://github.com/elastic/logstash/issues/5851, except that their problem is with an older version of LogStash.

Here's a sample output I get from Logstash, version 5.4.3 (reformatted slightly for readability):

{"exception"=>"Regexp Interrupted"
,"backtrace"=>["org/jruby/RubyRegexp.java:1657:in =~'" ,"org/jruby/RubyString.java:1729:in=~'"
,"/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-kv-4.0.0/lib/logstash/filters/kv.rb:335:in has_value_splitter?'" ,"/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-kv-4.0.0/lib/logstash/filters/kv.rb:351:inparse'"
,"/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-kv-4.0.0/lib/logstash/filters/kv.rb:310:in filter'" ,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:145:indo_filter'"
,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:164:in multi_filter'" ,"org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:ineach'"
,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:161:in multi_filter'" ,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filter_delegator.rb:43:inmulti_filter'"
,"(eval):27302:in initialize'" ,"org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:ineach'"
,"(eval):27298:in initialize'" ,"org/jruby/RubyProc.java:281:incall'"
,"(eval):3643:in filter_func'" ,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:370:infilter_batch'"
,"org/jruby/RubyProc.java:281:in call'" ,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/util/wrapped_synchronous_queue.rb:224:ineach'"
,"org/jruby/RubyHash.java:1342:in each'" ,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/util/wrapped_synchronous_queue.rb:223:ineach'"
,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:369:in filter_batch'" ,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:350:inworker_loop'"
,"/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:317:in `start_workers'"]
}

I see this error about once a week. It doesn't always happen in the kv module.
I'm using the Docker image at docker.elastic.co/logstash/logstash:5.4.3 as the basis for my Logstash setup.

Does anyone have any suggestions on trying to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

This isn't the only crash I've seen with Logstash 5.4.3. There's also this one

I suspect a bug is being tickled because the Logstash instance never has any idle time (it's reading from a Kafka "firehose" that it can never keep up with).

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.