Issue with elastic cluster after upgrade to 6.5.0

My master node is reporting the following error "role retrieval failed from [native roles store]"

[2018-11-21T18:27:50,739][WARN ][o.e.x.s.a.s.CompositeRolesStore] [elk-master-2.mydomain.net] role retrieval failed from [native roles store]
org.elasticsearch.cluster.block.ClusterBlockException: blocked by: [FORBIDDEN/12/index read-only / allow delete (api)];

I can no longer view roles, i can list them, but not view the individual contents of any of the roles, nor can I create users.
I've tried my own account, and have tried the elastic user. The upgrade may not be the issue.
I'm not sure what to provide to you.

OK, so this may be the wrong way to handle things.

PUT .*/_settings
{
"index": {
"blocks": {
"read_only_allow_delete": "false"
}
}
}

PUT */_settings
{
"index": {
"blocks": {
"read_only_allow_delete": "false"
}
}
}

That error message sometimes indicates that you are running out of disk space and have exceeded the flood stage watermark (defaults to 95% full). If that is the case, you will need to free up space as indices otherwise will go back to read-only mode.

I WAS having an issue with the space, which I resolved, and the error never cleared itself. Of course by the time I cleared things up, the monitoring wouldn't run anymore.

How long should it take to become NOT read-only after a space issue has been cleared?

I believe you need to clear it manually like you did before.

1 Like

Thank you, the cluster has cleared. I learned a new trick with this too and led me to the discover of this:
GET _cluster/allocation/explain

I had a lot of nodes with the wrong version of elasticsearch as well. They must've changed version in the yum repo the next day after I rebuilt the other nodes.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.