200 logs/minute elastic performance

Hello!

I just started with the ELK stack few weeks ago and have spent time on the tutorial videos, hands-on, etc. I've elasticsearch-2.3.4 and logstash-2.3.4 on a Win7 PC (laptop) with 8GB RAM and 64-bit JDK1.8.

I'm trying a new way of storing my application logs (text files in custom format) and then analysing them with ELK - eventually all the application engineers will have access to the logs via the E or K interfaces. Just to try this out faster I'm initially playing with a 10MB apache log file with about 100,000 lines.

When I use logstash with the file as input and use the metrics filter and COMMONAPACHELOG grok filter and only output the metric to stdout (nothing else in the output), I get a rate_1m of around 3500.

When I add elasticsearch (running on same PC) to the output of logstash, the rate_1m drops to between 200 & 300. I tried configuring elasticsearch with mlockall, ES_HEAP_SIZE of 2G, 3G (4G failed to allocate) - the performance varies between 200 & 300 with no significant change with heap changes.

My questions:

1. In my opinion, 3500 is poor performance of logstash. A perl script achieves a per minute performance of 6,000,000 on my machine for a similar match pattern and no output. Is this the performance I can expect for all the extra functionality offered by logstash?

2. Assuming I'm OK with performance around 3500 for my application, 200 is just too much of a performance drop when I add elasticsearch to the mix. The PC is definitely not loaded when this is running, CPU hovers between 25 to 75% usage, total disk IO is below 10MB/s - the PC can easily do 30-40MB/s. So, system resources are not the bottleneck here. What am I doing wrong and how can I improve this rate?

If you see the logs when starting up the ES will bring up on 4026 FD by default. Try to allocate more FD and try once.

Doesn't look like FD is the problem. It shows -1 in /_nodes/stats/process. I think it means unlimited on Windows as per this post.

{
  "cluster_name": "elasticsearch",
  "nodes": {
    "FPJhPMnZQ8qy70QkczcUUA": {
      "timestamp": 1474685156386,
      "name": "James Dr. Power",
      "transport_address": "127.0.0.1:9300",
      "host": "127.0.0.1",
      "ip": [
        "127.0.0.1:9300",
        "NONE"
      ],
      "process": {
        "timestamp": 1474685156386,
        "open_file_descriptors": -1,
        "max_file_descriptors": -1,
        "cpu": {
          "percent": 11,
          "total_in_millis": 32136
        },
        "mem": {
          "total_virtual_in_bytes": 2369433600
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

From here and the linked github bug, I understand that the rate I'm getting is around 200 logs/second and not 200 logs/minute as I wrote in the title.

I have also confirmed with various tests that the bottleneck is elasticsearch and not logstash. I'm now trying out this: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/indexing-performance.html