[7.0.1] New Circuitbreaker - Must shards be smaller than heap?

Dear developers,

I'm wondering how the new circuit breaker is supposed to work in relation to shard size.

I see this circuitbreaker in my logs:

[2019-08-15T18:12:09,472][WARN ][o.e.i.c.IndicesClusterStateService] [mes-any-testssd-qa002-mes_any_testssd1] [[mfts-load][0]] marking and sending shard failed due to [failed recovery]
org.elasticsearch.indices.recovery.RecoveryFailedException: [mfts-load][0]: Recovery failed from {mes-any-testssd-qa001-mes_any_testssd1}{TVCXPfduT76snBVeHaxYkA}{aZ9_GJcERZOv7IDbTvg6Cw}{10.90.26.21}{10.90.26.21:9300} into {mes-any-testssd-qa002-mes_any_testssd1}{PLAdWg1NQGq8V5TDWZkHQA}{8EtEQ6GFT-e4mqK-jKjPJA}{10.90.26.24}{10.90.26.24:9300}
        at org.elasticsearch.indices.recovery.PeerRecoveryTargetService.lambda$doRecovery$2(PeerRecoveryTargetService.java:253) [elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.indices.recovery.PeerRecoveryTargetService$1.handleException(PeerRecoveryTargetService.java:298) [elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.PlainTransportFuture.handleException(PlainTransportFuture.java:97) [elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.TransportService$ContextRestoreResponseHandler.handleException(TransportService.java:1124) [elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport.lambda$handleException$24(TcpTransport.java:1001) [elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:681) [elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:835) [?:?]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.transport.RemoteTransportException: [mes-any-testssd-qa001-mes_any_testssd1][10.90.26.21:9300][internal:index/shard/recovery/start_recovery]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.common.breaker.CircuitBreakingException: [parent] Data too large, data for [<transport_request>] would be [31628069438/29.4gb], which is larger than the limit of [31621696716/29.4gb], real usage: [31627032296/29.4gb], new bytes reserved: [1037142/1012.8kb]
        at org.elasticsearch.indices.breaker.HierarchyCircuitBreakerService.checkParentLimit(HierarchyCircuitBreakerService.java:343) ~[elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.breaker.ChildMemoryCircuitBreaker.addEstimateBytesAndMaybeBreak(ChildMemoryCircuitBreaker.java:128) ~[elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport.handleRequest(TcpTransport.java:1026) ~[elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport.messageReceived(TcpTransport.java:922) ~[elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport.inboundMessage(TcpTransport.java:753) ~[elasticsearch-7.0.1.jar:7.0.1]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.netty4.Netty4MessageChannelHandler.channelRead(Netty4MessageChannelHandler.java:53) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.fireChannelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:323) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:297) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.logging.LoggingHandler.channelRead(LoggingHandler.java:241) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.unwrap(SslHandler.java:1436) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decodeJdkCompatible(SslHandler.java:1203) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decode(SslHandler.java:1247) ~[?:?]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(Byte

I have 31GB Heap allocated to the Elasticsearch process

If I understand it correctly, it breaks the request as it is bigger than the heap size. Does this mean that I can no longer have shards bigger than the size of my heap?

Thank you for your insight!

hey,

Elasticsearch stopped to process this request, because the memory required for this task was not available as other parts of the application have already taken up the JVM heap.

The main question here is, what is taking so much of your heap, as 31GB is quite a bit. checking out nodes stats might help you here.

--Alex