Add new field using part of existing value

Hello - I would like to create a new field named "process_name". I would like to use part of the an existing field's value to add to the newly created field. Ex:

Sample JSON Log :

"cb_server":"cbserver","computer_name":"xxxx-WA","direction":"outbound","domain":"","event_type":"netconn","local_ip":"::1","local_port":1234,"md5":"ASDFASDFASDFAS","pid":12345,"process_guid":"123412341234123405722f4","process_path":"c:\\users\\name\\appdata\\roaming\\createagent-1.1\\create_bridge.exe","protocol":1,"proxy":false,"remote_ip":"asdfasdf","remote_port":1234,"sensor_id":1234,"sha256":"ASDFASDF@#$!@#$%","timestamp":1589578181,"type":"ingress.event.netconn"

Is it possible to create a new field called "process_name" with just using "create_bridge.exe" value from the existing field "process_path"?

Logstash filter:

filter {
        if [log_type] == "netconn" {
                grok {
                        match => {
                                "message" => [ "%{GREEDYDATA:netconn_raw}" ]
                        }
                }
                json {
                        source => "netconn_raw"
                }
                mutate {
                        remove_field => [ "netconn_raw", "message", "timestamp" ]
                }
        }
}

The grok filter makes no sense, why not just use

source => "message"

in the json filter? Also, instead of using a separate mutate you can add the remove_field option to the json filter. That way it only gets removed if it is parsed successfully.

You can use grok to extract the process path. I haven't tested it, but something like

grok { match => { "process_path" => "\\(?<process_name>[^\\]+)$" } }

You may need to play around with the number of backslashes in each place (2, 4, ..).

@Badger - Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I took your suggestions and made the following changes to my filter and I am seeing some progress:

filter {
                json {
                        source => "message"
                        remove_field => [ "timestamp" ]
                }
                grok {
                        match => [ "process_path", "%{PATH:process_path}\\%{DATA:process_name}",
                                   "process_path", "%{UNIXPATH:process_path}/%{DATA:process_name}"
                        ]
                        remove_field => [ "message" ]
                }
        }
}

The logs are being parsed but the process_path field is showing two vaules:

Capture2

How would I go about creating a new field titled process_name using just the svchost.exe portion?

You have a [process_path] field and you are asking grok to add a [process_path] field, so you end up with an array. Add the following option

overwrite => [ "process_path" ]

What [process_name] field do the resulting events have?

@Badger - I still want to keep the field name "process_path" and its associated value but I would also like to create a new field named "process_name" but only use the last portion of the process_path value as the process_name value.

So essentially I would have the following fields:

process_path = c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
process_name = svchost.exe

As of right now process_name is not being created.

That's hard to believe unless you are getting a _grokparsefailure, but the doubling up of process_path tells you are not getting a parse failure.

Note that the UNIXPATH pattern can be very, very expensive. That is why I suggested anchoring to end-of-string and using a character group that excludes the directory separator. Try

grok {
    match => { "process_path" => [
        "%{DATA:process_path}\\(?<process_name>[^\\]+)$",
        "%{DATA:process_path}/(?<process_name>[^/]+)$",
        ]
    }
}

That should be cheaper.

@Badger - I am now seeing the new field "process_name" being created. I noticed that there is a change to the "process_path" field and the last portion is being dropped from its value. Not a huge deal but was just wondering if there was a way to keep that field to show the full path and also how do I account for events that do not have the "process_path" field and are resulting in grokparsefailure tags? The grokparsefailure isn't a huge issue because the logs are still being parsed but since they don't have the field process_path that's why its receiving that tag(in my humble opinion).

Latest Filter:

filter {
               json {
                       source => "message"
               }
               grok {
                       match => [ "process_path", "%{DATA:process_path}\\(?<process_name>[^\\]+)$",
                                  "process_path", "%{DATA:process_path}/(?<process_name>[^/]+)$"
                                ]
               }
       }
}

Capture3

If you do not want to modify process_path then do not overwrite it:

grok {
    match => { "process_path" => [
        "\\(?<process_name>[^\\]+)$",
        "/(?<process_name>[^/]+)$",
        ]
    }
}

@Badger - yeah I gave that a try before I replied but it lists an array for the value. I can live with the current results I am getting at this point. Thanks for all your help.

@Badger - I re-read your latest reply and realized I read it incorrectly. After making the change you recently suggested its working as should. thanks again. Final config listed below just incase anybody has the same issue:

filter {
                json {
                        source => "message"
                }
                grok {
                        match => [ "process_path", "\\(?<process_name>[^\\]+)$",
                                   "process_path", "/(?<process_name>[^/]+)$"
                                 ]
                }
        }
}

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.