Aggregate filter dilemma

Hi all,

hoping to get some feedback on this as it took me 3 days to resolve which I think is potentially a knowledge gap on my side or a BUG.

In summary:

1. Two logs, I want to aggregate using the aggregate filter. One field in common between both logs
    if "log1" in [tags] {

grok {
				match => ["message", "(?<log1_KEY>(?<=log1key:).*?(?=\s,))"]
			}

aggregate {
		 task_id => "%{log1_KEY}"

}

}

if "log2" in [tags] {

grok {
				match => ["message", "(?<log2_KEY>(?<=log2key:).*?(?=\s,))"] # log2 key would be same as log1 key as they are correlated
			}

aggregate {
		 task_id => "%{log2_KEY}"

}

}

The issue here is that aggregate filter treats both log1_key and log2_key differently even though both contain the same value. They only way I got this work is by using the same name for key id such as log_key.

So in summary I see the following when using aggregate fitler:

log1_key = 123 log2_key = 123

log1_key == log2_key ---> aggregate filter fails to match. log_key == log_key --> works

I am confused as to why this behaviour exists when the underlying values are the same?

That is expected. The array of map elements is indexed by both the value of task_id and the sprintf'd value of task_id. If the names of the two fields are different then they will be treated differently, even if the contents of the two fields are the same.

thanks for the quick response. Is there any particular reason for this as this goes against all programming concepts (as far as I can think)?

I cannot speak to the programmer's thinking when they designed it, but to me it makes sense.

Many thanks for the quick reply.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.