APM application_packages for WebLogic

I have running APM java agent for weblogic which is streaming fine to APM serve in this case only for usage resource metrics as default. At this point I'm not getting traces / transactions / errors information, is that because I have to set "pplication_packages" property right ?, if so, my doubt is ... is there way to specify in the property get all java projects ?

Since our weblogic is running a large list of type Java projects like libraries, Web App, Enterprise Application, etc., I think it should be inefficient setting whole list.

export JAVA_OPTIONS="$JAVA_OPTIONS -Delastic.apm.application_packages=org.example,org.another.example"

Hi and thanks for reaching out.
You normally don't need to set application_packages in order to get basic traces, as long as you are using supported technologies/frameworks. Please go over this page and make sure you are using a supported WebLogic version, Java version and libraries.
The application_packages is required to better name your transactions if you are using JAX-RS and JAX-WS, but as long as there is a Servlet handling all requests, you should have got something traced. In any case, it is best not to set this config with invalid packages- either set with correct package names or omit it.
Please go over our documentation throughly, including the troubleshooting page and you should be able to sort this out.
In any case, without knowing your setup and getting a debug level log, there is very little we can say.

Hi Eyal

Thanks for the feedback. I see below log output, is that the reason of not capturing traces ?

One more observation, Weblogic running version is 10.3.x, asper supported technologies document only supports WebLogic 12.2.

Upgrating WebLogic and Java could be the solution ?

Log :

2020-01-29 15:49:16.704 [apm-server-healthcheck] INFO co.elastic.apm.agent.report.ApmServerHealthChecker - Elastic APM server is available: { "build_date": "2019-12-16T20:57:59Z", "build_sha": "348d8d83c3c823b64fc0692be607b1a5a8fac775", "version": "7.5.1"}
2020-01-29 15:49:16.870 [main] INFO co.elastic.apm.agent.configuration.StartupInfo - Starting Elastic APM 1.12.0 as MyWebLogicApp on Java 1.7.0_80 (Oracle Corporation) Linux 2.6.32-754.24.3.el6.x86_64
2020-01-29 15:49:16.871 [main] WARN co.elastic.apm.agent.configuration.StartupInfo - To enable all features and to increase startup times, please configure application_packages
The selected version of Java, 1.7.0_80, contains a known security flaw. Please upgrade to at least 1.7.0_131
2020-01-29 15:49:35.475 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '80' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN co.elastic.apm.agent.bci.bytebuddy.ErrorLoggingListener - weblogic.jdbc.sqlserverbase.BaseConnection uses an unsupportedclass file version (pre Java 5) and can't be instrumented. Consider updating to a newer version of that library.
2020-01-29 15:49:35.584 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '80' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN co.elastic.apm.agent.bci.bytebuddy.ErrorLoggingListener - weblogic.jdbc.db2base.BaseConnection uses an unsupported class file version (pre Java 5) and can't be instrumented. Consider updating to a newer version of that library.
2020-01-29 15:49:35.742 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '80' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN co.elastic.apm.agent.bci.bytebuddy.ErrorLoggingListener - weblogic.jdbc.sybasebase.BaseConnection uses an unsupported class file version (pre Java 5) and can't be instrumented. Consider updating to a newer version of that library.
2020-01-29 15:49:35.856 [[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '80' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] WARN co.elastic.apm.agent.bci.bytebuddy.ErrorLoggingListener - weblogic.jdbc.informixbase.BaseConnection uses an unsupported class file version (pre Java 5) and can't be instrumented. Consider updating to a newer version of that library.

This is my configuration:

export JAVA_OPTIONS="$JAVA_OPTIONS -javaagent:/mypath/elastic-apm-agent-1.12.0.jar"
export JAVA_OPTIONS="$JAVA_OPTIONS -Delastic.apm.service_name=MyWebLogicApp"
#export JAVA_OPTIONS="$JAVA_OPTIONS -Delastic.apm.application_packages=org.example,org.another.example"
export JAVA_OPTIONS="$JAVA_OPTIONS -Delastic.apm.server_urls=http://apmserver:8200"

Regards,
Jorge

Yes, this is definitely the case of using unsupported versions of WebLogic and JVM. Upgrading to the supported versions is expected to solve this.

Thanks, I've tested same configuration running with WebLogic 12.2 and worked as expected

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.