Blank line in aws name

Hi,

I'm a bit new to all of this so I hope I'll be clear enough.

We're seeing in logstash a blank line as seen in the picture.
Even when I export it in raw or formatted the blank line is there with the count.

What can be the issue?

Thanks

Hi @Yotam_Hershkovitz,

How are you getting your data into Elasticsearch? It seems like you have a number of documents with either a missing or empty aws-name field, and the missing/empty field is treated like any other entry when performing aggregations like this.

From what I understand we have linux servers with logstash installed on them and they send the data (sorry if this is obvious) to the kibana server.
I can't seem to figure out where does the aws server names comes from, I mean where does logstash gets the server names?
it's not from the server itself since there's nowhere the hostname appears.

it there a conf file with the name somewhere?

any suggestions ?

Im sorry if what I wrote isn't correct / clear / or really obvious

Hi @Yotam_Hershkovitz, I've moved this to the Logstash forum, so they can help you with your Logstash configuration.

I can't seem to figure out where does the aws server names comes from, I mean where does logstash gets the server names?

That's entirely up to your Logstash configuration, so unless you show it to us we can't possibly help.

Here's the logstash config file: /etc/logstash/logstash.conf

output {
    if "ERROR" in [level]
    {
      datadog {
        api_key => xxx_I_prefer_not_writing it here_xxxxxx"
        alert_type => "error"
        title => "Logstash event for ${HOSTNAME:NA}, Instance-Id: ${AWS_ID:NA}, Name-Tag: ${AWS_NAME:NA}"
      }
    }
    elasticsearch {
        hosts => ['IP1:PORT', 'IP2:PORT']
        index => 'logstash-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}'
    }
}

input {
  file {
    path => '/workspace/server-name-*/logs/*.log'
    type => 'erver-name'
    codec => multiline {
      pattern => '^%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601} '
      negate => true
      what => previous
    }
  }
}

filter {
  mutate {
    remove_field => [ "host", "aws-id", "host-ip", "aws-name" ]
  }
  mutate {
    add_field => {
      "host" => "${HOSTNAME:NA}"
      "aws-id" => "${AWS_ID:NA}"
      "host-ip" => "${HOST_IP:NA}"
      "aws-name" => "${AWS_NAME:NA}"
    }
  }
  grok {
    match => { 'message' => '%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp}%{SPACE}%{LOGLEVEL:level}%{SPACE}\[%{DATA:thread}]%{SPACE}%{USERNAME:file}~%{USERNAME:method}%{SPACE}%{GREEDYDATA:logmsg}' }
  }
  date {
    match => [ 'timestamp', 'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS' ]

According to your configuration the aws-name field comes from the AWS_NAME environment variable.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.