Can't find shared folder for backup in Lab 4.1 of the Elastic Engineer 2 course

I am studying the Elastic Engineer 2 course but I can't follow the instructions in Lab 4.1 "Cluster Backup" because I can't find the shared folder that it says should exist.

In step 2 of the lab it says "Notice there is a single folder named /shared_folder that each server can read/write to".

I have been unable to find this folder in the three servers server1, server2, and server 3 in the Strigo environment. Are they definitely present? I'd be grateful is someone could give me more detailed instructions on how to find this shared folder. I have been connecting to the three servers using ssh and then using ls -l to try to look for the shared folder but have not been able to find it. I need to do this in order to prep fir the certification exam.

Thanks

Adam

I ssh'd onto server 7 and did ls. The only folder present there is called "elasticsearch".

Going up from there I can see two folders only called: elastic & root.

Going into the "elasticsearch folder" I can only see the normal folder arrangement of elasticsearch's installation: bin, config, logs, etc.

I'd be grateful for any further help you can proide.

Thanks

Adam

On server1, you should be able to do cd /shared_folder

If not, try a ls / to make sure it's there.

1 Like

Thanks! Not being a UNIX/LINUX person I didn't really appreciate that I needed to do cd /shared_folder and that the slash was all-important. I thought I could just look around in the familiar parts of the file hierarchy and I would find this folder.

It might help others like me if this was made even clearer to LINUX novices like myself in the lab notes.

Thanks so much

Adam

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.