Choosing Parent/Child vs Nested Document

++Harm

On Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM, haarts wrote:

I'm not Shay (not by a long shot) but I do know the answer to that one!
Your assumption is correct. An update allows you to append stuff to the document without sending it over the wire entirely. It also handles conflicts (see retry_on_conflict argument). But the entire document is reindexed which can be rather expensive. Adding tags probably wouldn't be a problem. Added (hundreds of) comments to a blog post is a problem.

Harm

On Tuesday, 28 February 2012 11:37:19 UTC+1, Karel Minařík wrote:

Shay, do I understand correctly, that the update API [http://
Elasticsearch Platform — Find real-time answers at scale | Elastic (Elasticsearch Platform — Find real-time answers at scale | Elastic)] enables to
append "nested" documents to the "main" document, such as adding a tag
or comment to an article, without requiring to send the full document
over the wire? (And also without potential conflicts with concurrent
updates?)

Karel

On Feb 20, 1:58 pm, Shay Banon kim...@gmail.com wrote:

Both parent/child or nested documents will have the relevant data reside in the same shard. The main difference is that nested are faster compared to parent/child, but, nested docs require reindexing the parent with all its children, while parent child allows to reindex / add / delete specific children.

Elasticsearch Platform — Find real-time answers at scale | Elastic (Elasticsearch Platform — Find real-time answers at scale | Elastic)] enables to
updates?)

Karel

Both parent/child or nested documents will have the relevant data reside in the same shard. The main difference is that nested are faster compared to parent/child, but, nested docs require reindexing the parent with all its children, while parent child allows to reindex / add / delete specific children.

updates?)

Karel

updates?)

Karel