Comparison of heartbeat and zabbix

I want to use Heartbeat in our office.
Heartbeat is very easy to use and lightweight.

However, there is already Zabbix in the office.
What are the strengths of Heartbeat?

(URL) Heartbeat
https://www.elastic.co/products/beats/heartbeat
(URL) Zabbix
https://www.zabbix.com/whats_new

Hello,
There are several differences between Heartbeat and Zabbix with respect for "uptime monitoring"
One of the main difference is that in Zabbix there is no dedicated agent that is doing the checks for you, the checks are been executed from Zabbix-server itself, meaning that you must provide an access from Zabbix server to your end point which you would like to check.

Heartbeat (similar to our other beats) is a lightweight shipper, which can be installed practically anywhere (in or outside your network) and target a specific use case, which is "uptime monitoring".
Heartbeat can monitor both internal and external endpoints and provide you with the information if those end-points or services are up and running.
Heartbeat provides HTTP/S ICMP and TCP checks, it can do body checks, it then sends all the information to the elasticsearch, where there you can leverage the full power of the stack (visualizations, alerting and more...)

in addition you can deploy multiple heartbeats in different locations and monitor the same endpoint/service to get a wide perspective on your service accessibility from various locations.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer.

I didn’t know about the difference before, but now I know well.

in addition you can deploy multiple heartbeats in different locations and monitor the same endpoint/service to get a wide perspective on your service accessibility from various locations.

I think it is particularly attractive that I can deploy multiple heartbeats in different location.
I will try using heartbeat at my office.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.