Conditional, check multiple values for a field

Hello,

I have a pipeline on logstash where I receive messages from network devices (firewalls), parse the message using grok patterns and store them in elasticsearch.

I have three different models which I parse some kinds of messages that they send, other kind of messages I'm not done configuring the grok pattern, so I add a tag on them and store in another index.

For each device I have a tag, for example, "device01", "device02" and "device03", and another tag for the messages that do not match on grok, like "device-temp", and all the devices have the same type, for example "firewall".

On my pipeline I have a excluding conditional, for using the mutate filter, the conditional is as below:

if "device-temp" not in [tags] and [type] == "firewall" {
    mutate { things to mutate } 
}

This conditional works fine, but now I'm trying to change it to a including conditional, I tried the below configuration, but it did not work:

if [tags] in ["device01", "device02", "device03"] and [type] == "firewall" {
}

How can I do something like this? Do I need to use an or for each conditional? Like below:

if "device01" in [tags] or "device02" in [tags]

I'm using Logstash 5.4.3

if "device01" in [tags] or "device02" in [tags]

Yes, I think this is what you need to do. But I suggest you don't use tags for this purpose but rather a field with a singular value, perhaps named device. Then you can use the in operator, plus it makes more sense from a data modelling perspective.

2 Likes

In addition to what Magnus said, I would move the [type] == "firewall" to be the first conditional to test - this is so any event of a not firewall type do not need to have the remaining conditionals checked at all.

And you need to group the OR sections with parentheses (...)

So, I would need something like this?

if [type] == "firewall" and ("device01" in [tags] or "device02" in [tags]) {
}
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.