Configuring logstash to listen to Filebeat

Hi,

I have installed Logstash version 5.2.0 and File Beat 5.2.0. Next I configured file beat to send events to logstash.

Next I configured logstash to listen to file beat by the following configuration:

input {
beats {
port => 5044
}
}

output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => "localhost:9200"
manage_template => false
index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
document_type => "%{[@metadata][type]}"
}
}

The Elasticsearch document asks to install input beats plugin for logstash. So i executed the following command but it says connection refused.

D:\Softwares\LogMonitoring\logstash-5.2.0\bin>logstash-plugin install logstash-i
nput-beats
ERROR: Something went wrong when installing logstash-input-beats, message: Conne
ction refused - Connection refused

Can someone point to the correct steps to configure logstash to received inputs from file beat?

I am trying to parse the log files from apache and push it to elasticsearch.

Thanks.
Saurabh

The beats input is sooooo important in the Elastic Stack it is always shipped with each Logstash release.

bin/logstash-plugin list --verbose logstash-input-beats
logstash-input-beats (3.1.12)

bin/logstash-plugin --help
Usage:
    bin/logstash-plugin [OPTIONS] SUBCOMMAND [ARG] ...

Parameters:
    SUBCOMMAND                    subcommand
    [ARG] ...                     subcommand arguments

Subcommands:
    list                          List all installed Logstash plugins
    install                       Install a Logstash plugin
    remove                        Remove a Logstash plugin
    update                        Update a plugin
    pack                          Package currently installed plugins, Deprecated: Please use prepare-offline-pack instead
    unpack                        Unpack packaged plugins, Deprecated: Please use prepare-offline-pack instead
    generate                      Create the foundation for a new plugin
    uninstall                     Uninstall a plugin. Deprecated: Please use remove instead
    prepare-offline-pack          Create an archive of specified plugins to use for offline installation

Options:
    -h, --help                    print help

$ bin/logstash-plugin list --help
Usage:
    bin/logstash-plugin list [OPTIONS] [PLUGIN]

Parameters:
    [PLUGIN]                      Part of plugin name to search for, leave empty for all plugins

Options:
    --installed                   List only explicitly installed plugins using bin/logstash-plugin install ... (default: false)
    --verbose                     Also show plugin version number (default: false)
    --group NAME                  Filter plugins per group: input, output, filter or codec
    -h, --help                    print help

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just checked and the beats plugin is shipped by default with 5.2.

Thank.
Saurabh

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.