Create multiple APM indexes, one per app

Hi all,

This afternoon I have been experimenting with Elastic + Kibana + APM server. I've successfully configured two Python apps an explored results for some time.

After that I wanted to know how this data is being distributed trough elasticsearch indexes. It seems that all apps info is stored in the same index.

I have tried to change index name and pattern in order to create groups of indexes for each app. Is it possible? Could you please provide some examples, I didn't find any guide in the official docs.

If those indexes cannot be separated by app, is it possible to restrict access for each app metrics to different users?

Thank you!

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

Have a look at Storing APM data in custom/specific indices :slight_smile:

Thanks! It looks promising, I'll try it tomorrow morning!

I assume that I'll have to uncomment the following lines regarding to index templating.

setup.template.name: "apm-server"
setup.template.pattern: "apm-*"

Thanks again

I can't answer that one sorry, don't know the details of it.

If you follow the configuration in the post Mark linked to, then you should not need to change setup.template.*. You would only need to change those if the index prefix changes. In the linked topic, it remains the same as the default ("apm-%{[observer.version]}-")

1 Like

Ahh just like Beats! :smiley:

It worked!

Thank you all,

BTW, no need to change templates as you said.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.