Cross compile Topbeat for Windows on Linux

(Arunachala) #1

Hi,
I want to compile topbeat for Windows on my Linux desktop.

I have the following installed:

Now, when try to cross compile Topbeat for Windows, I get the following output and NO .exe

~/beats-dev/src/github.com/elastic/beats-packer$ make topbeat/win

cross compile on ubuntu

cd build && xgo -image=tudorg/beats-builder
-before-build=../xgo-scripts/topbeat_before_build.sh
-branch master
-pkg topbeat

Checking docker installation...
Client:
Version: 1.11.2
API version: 1.23
Go version: go1.5.4
Git commit: b9f10c9
Built: Wed Jun 1 21:47:50 2016
OS/Arch: linux/amd64

Server:
Version: 1.11.2
API version: 1.23
Go version: go1.5.4
Git commit: b9f10c9
Built: Wed Jun 1 21:47:50 2016
OS/Arch: linux/amd64

Checking for required docker image tudorg/beats-builder... found.
Cross compiling github.com/elastic/beats...
Running docker [run -v /home/arun/beats-dev/src/github.com/elastic/beats-packer/build:/build -v /home/arun/beats-dev/src/github.com/elastic/beats-packer/build/138026786:/scripts -e REPO_REMOTE= -e REPO_BRANCH=master -e PACK=topbeat -e DEPS= -e OUT= -e FLAG_V=false -e FLAG_RACE=false -e BEFORE_BUILD=topbeat_before_build.sh tudorg/beats-builder github.com/elastic/beats]
Fetching main repository github.com/elastic/beats...
Cloning into 'beats'...
Switching over to branch master...
Already on 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
Fetching dependencies...
Execute /scripts/topbeat_before_build.sh
make: *** No rule to make target `install-cfg'. Stop.
2016/06/17 13:06:03 Failed to cross compile package: exit status 2.
make: *** [topbeat] Error 1

Am I doing something grossly wrong?

Also, how do I tell beats-packer to pick code from a local directory than cloning from github repo?

Regards,
Arun

(ruflin) #2

Beats-packer is now part of the beats repository. You can find it here: https://github.com/elastic/beats/tree/master/dev-tools/packer Please try again with this one.

(Arunachala) #3

But there is no rule in there to build topbeat.

make topbeat
make: *** No rule to make target `topbeat'. Stop.

(ruflin) #4

@arunachala Are you working on master? If yes, be aware that Topbeat was removed in alpha3 and all future development should happen in Metricbeat system module: https://www.elastic.co/blog/beats-5-0-0-alpha3-released

(Arunachala) #5

@ruflin Thanks. I have moved back to 1.3 branch where topbeat was still separate project.

There also, I am getting the following error when I try to cross compile topbeat for Windows.

~/beats-dev/1.3/src/github.com/elastic/beats/topbeat$ GOOS=windows GOARCH=amd64 go build

github.com/elastic/beats/vendor/github.com/elastic/gosigar

../vendor/github.com/elastic/gosigar/concrete_sigar.go:20: cpuUsage.Get undefined (type Cpu has no field or method Get)
../vendor/github.com/elastic/gosigar/concrete_sigar.go:30: cpuUsage.Get undefined (type Cpu has no field or method Get)
../vendor/github.com/elastic/gosigar/concrete_sigar.go:49: l.Get undefined (type LoadAverage has no field or method Get)
../vendor/github.com/elastic/gosigar/concrete_sigar.go:55: m.Get undefined (type Mem has no field or method Get)
../vendor/github.com/elastic/gosigar/concrete_sigar.go:61: s.Get undefined (type Swap has no field or method Get)
../vendor/github.com/elastic/gosigar/concrete_sigar.go:67: f.Get undefined (type FileSystemUsage has no field or method Get)

Is it even possible to cross compile topbeat on Linux?

-Arun

(Andrew Kroh) #6

In your first post, when you tried to use the elastic/beats-packer project to compile the elastic/beats project you were targeting the master branch. You should probably target the 1.3 branch because we no longer use the separate elastic/beats-packer project to build against master. Change master to 1.3 here.

It is possible to cross-compile for Windows on Linux. That's what the beat-packer project does. It just encapsulates all of the compiler dependencies into a docker container.

(Arunachala) #7

@andrewkroh Thanks. Now I am able to compile topbeat for Windows on Linux.

It seems beats-packer clones this 1.3 branch every time it needs to build. Is there a way to make beats-packer to build a local directory instead of cloning every time?

Basically, I have cloned branch 1.3 and have some local changes on top. I need to compile this local copy of code rather the freshly cloned from git.

-Arun

(Andrew Kroh) #8

You'll have to hack it to make it do that.

We migrated beats-packer into the main beats repo and it now does what you describe, build and package the local source.

(system) #9

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.