Custom patterns can´t get resolved in logstash

I´m trying to setup an environment for grok debugging and made this with a docker.

Everything works fine, until logstash tries to resolve a custom pattern. Here is my environment

I start the docker with

docker run -it --name logstash_debug -v /home/cloud/docker-elk/logstash/config/logstash.yml:/usr/share/logstash/config/logstash.yml -v /home/cloud/docker-elk/logstash/pipeline/:/usr/share/logstash/pipeline/ -v /home/cloud/docker-elk/logstash/patterns/:/usr/share/logstash/patterns docker.elastic.co/logstash/logstash:7.2.0

As I said, logstash starts up, loads the pipeline (debug.conf)

input { stdin {} } filter { grok { patterns_dir => ["/usr/share/logstash/patterns"] match => ["message", "%{YEAR1} [%{LOGLEVEL:loglvl}] %{GREEDYDATA:message}"] } date { match => ["customer_time", "${YEAR1}"] target => "@timestamp" }}

output { stdout { codec => rubydebug } }

and gives me this error:

Cannot evaluate ${YEAR1} . Replacement variable YEAR1 is not defined in a Logstash secret store or as an Environment entry and there is no default value given.

the patterns_dir contains a file "dateformats" which contains (stripped it down to a minimum)

YEAR1 %{YEAR}

the logstash debug output gives me this:

[DEBUG][logstash.filters.grok ] config LogStash::Filters::Grok/@patterns_dir = ["/usr/share/logstash/patterns"]

[DEBUG][logstash.filters.grok ] config LogStash::Filters::Grok/@match = {"message"=>"%{YEAR1} [%{LOGLEVEL:loglvl}] %{GREEDYDATA:message}"} .....

[DEBUG][logstash.filters.grok ] config LogStash::Filters::Grok/@patterns_files_glob = "*"

Normally logstash should be able to graba this file (I even started the docker with --user 0 to be sure that I have no permission problem) but it somehow can´t

Anyone can me give a hint to what´s going on ?

Thanks and cheers,

Wurzelseppi

$ is used to substitute environment variables in the configuration. It has nothing to do with custom grok patterns. What are you trying to do with this date filter?

1 Like

Hey,

I was being very very du&§%/.... sorry for that .... programmed too much in linux shell :frowning:
Thanks for your help man !

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.