Date match pattern with Z versus ZZ: any difference?

In brief: According to the docs, only ZZ matches +08:00. In practice, Z also matches. Why?

In detail...

From the Logstash 5.0 documentation for the match option of the date filter plugin:

The date formats allowed are anything allowed by Joda-Time (java time library). You can see the docs for this format here:
joda.time.format.DateTimeFormat

From that Joda-Time documentation:

Symbol  Meaning                      Presentation  Examples
------  -------                      ------------  -------
Z       time zone offset/id          zone          -0800; -08:00; America/Los_Angeles

The count of pattern letters determine the format.
Zone: 'Z' outputs offset without a colon, 'ZZ' outputs the offset with a colon, 'ZZZ' or more outputs the zone id.

I note that this Joda-Time documentation uses the verb "outputs" rather than "matches". I understand why, but I found it jarring to be pointed from Logstash documentation for match to Joda-Time documentation that refers to "outputting". Patterns for matching input and patterns for formatting output are not necessarily the same thing.

Here's an example of a time stamp from my data:

2016-11-07 13:01:22.902+08:00

Note the format of the zone designator:

+08:00

That is, with a colon.

According to the Joda-Time documentation - if I interpret "outputs" in that documentation as "matches" - I need to specify ZZ at the end of a pattern to match the zone designator format I'm using.

However, in practice - specifically, with Logstash 1.5.5 (but the corresponding docs are the same) - the following date pattern, ending with a single Z, which I'd expect not to work:

date {
  match => ["time", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSSZ"]
}

appears to work just as well as a date pattern ending with ZZ.

I would have expected that the combination of offset-with-colon and Z would cause Logstash to report an error such as:

Failed parsing date from field {:field=>"time", :value=>"2016-11-07 13:01:22.902+08:00", :exception=>"Invalid format: "2016-11-07 13:01:22.902+08:00" is malformed at "+08:00"", :config_parsers=>"yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSSZ", :config_locale=>"default=en_US", :level=>:warn}

What's going on here?

What should I specify in my date pattern? Z or ZZ? It doesn't appear to make any difference. Am I missing something?

Logstash developers? Anyone?

I believe the current behavior contradicts the docs, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.