Early packet loss when using input-tcp with codec-netflow

Hi, I am trying to use Logstash with input-tcp and codec-netflow plugin to receive IPFIX (netflow v10) from a device.

The device I am using that is generating the IPFIX data has the following behavior:

• The first time it is to send a data record, it opens a TCP connection to the IPFIX collector (Logstash)
  • Once the TCP connection is established it sends all template records in the first IPFIX message.
  • Immediately afterwards, it send the data record (as the second IPFIX message)
  • Keeps the TCP connection open
  • Uses open TCP connection to send future data records without resending template

In my testing I have observed that any data-record that Logstash received within the first ~50-200ms of template-record, get's silently dropped (never shows up in any log). This means the Logstash is losing important data from the device (which transmits at long intervals, so losing the first record is a huge detriment).

I have simulated the IPFIX stream to help troubleshoot:
Example packet capture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3VctabAy1c9bDBUNHJNdnNZeXM/view?usp=sharing

Stdout rubydebug:

{
      "@version" => "1",
          "host" => "172.21.0.1",
       "netflow" => {
               "octetTotalCount" => 3,
                       "version" => 10,
        "observationTimeSeconds" => 1509458051
    },
    "@timestamp" => 2017-10-31T13:54:11.000Z,
          "port" => 35416
}
{
      "@version" => "1",
          "host" => "172.21.0.1",
       "netflow" => {
               "octetTotalCount" => 4,
                       "version" => 10,
        "observationTimeSeconds" => 1509458052
    },
    "@timestamp" => 2017-10-31T13:54:12.000Z,
          "port" => 35416
}

In the pcap, frame 4 is the template record, and 6,8,10,12 are the data records. As can be seen from the rubydebug stdout, only frames 10 and 12 make it through, frames 6 and 8 are dropped.

Relevant information:

Logstash version:

bash-4.2$ logstash --version
logstash 5.6.3

Plugin version:

bash-4.2$ logstash-plugin list --verbose | grep "input-tcp\|codec-netflow"
logstash-codec-netflow (3.7.0)
logstash-input-tcp (4.2.4)

Running docker image docker.elastic.co/logstash/logstash:5.6.3
Host OS: Ubuntu 16.04

logstash.conf

bash-4.2$ cat /usr/local/logstash/logstash.conf                                           
input {
    tcp {
        port  => 4739
        codec => netflow
    }
}

output {
    file { 
        path => "/tmp/ipfix_events-%{+YYYY-MM-dd}.log" 
    }
    stdout { codec => rubydebug  }
}

logstash.yml

bash-4.2$ cat /usr/share/logstash/config/logstash.yml 
http.host: "0.0.0.0"
path.config: /usr/share/logstash/pipeline
xpack.monitoring.enabled: false

Lastly, --log.level=debug crashes logstash, so I cannot post the debug log output.

[2017-10-31T14:21:43,889][FATAL][logstash.runner          ] An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<NoMethodError: undefined method `to_hash' for []:Array>, :backtrace=>["(eval):22:in `filter_func'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:398:in `filter_batch'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:379:in `worker_loop'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:342:in `start_workers'"]}

Please let me know if there is any other data that might be useful, or anything I should try.

Thanks,
Stefan

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.