Elastic APM OpenTelemetry Missing transaction.id on span. Not linking Stack Traces to Errors in Kibana UI

Kibana version: 7.16.2

Elasticsearch version: 7.16.2

APM Server version: 7.16.2

APM Agent language and version: Jenkins OpenTelemetry Plugin 1.0.1

• OpenTelemetry SDK to 1.7.1

Browser version: N/A

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version: ECK 1.9.1

Fresh install or upgraded from other version?: Upgrade

Is there anything special in your setup? Jenkins OTEL Plugin -> APM Server (direct OTEL support) -> Elasticsearch

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

It appears that transaction.id is missing from spans, so if there is an error in the timeline, then this error won't show up as the transaction.id is "Undefined".

Error at Agent:

Click View related error, and get taken to a blank page:

If I remove and transaction.id : "undefined", I can see there are 3 errors in this trace:

If I go back a menu, and click on the span, the Stack Trace page is empty:

If I switch to the Metadata tab of Span details, there is no transaction.id only a span.id, trace.id, and parent.id

I'm not 100% if this is an error with the OpenTelemetry plugin in Jenkins or an issue with the APM Server OTEL integration, but according to this doc, nothing special should need to be done to get this integration working correctly.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install OTEL plugin in Jenkins
  2. Configure plugin to send to APM server
  3. Configure a Jenkins pipeline to error
  4. Run the pipeline
  5. Get trace data in Elastic.
  6. Attempt to view error data in trace
  7. See that error doesn't have transaction.id associated with it, so therefore APM UI can't properly visualize it.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.