Elastic SIEM No Failed Authentications

Hello Community!

I'm Exploring ELK as a SIEM. As a beginner I have Winlogbea installed on a virtual machine that's subscribed to forwarded events from Domain Controller. I've made subsequent changes to the YML file and I'm receiving the logs within elastic. ** ISSUE: 0 FAILED AUTHENTICATION ** Please view the attached image and let me know if have to make changes in GPO or YML file to get failed logs.

See https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/winlogbeat/7.6/winlogbeat-modules.html#_usage_with_forwarded_events.

In 7.8 we will include this as part of the default config file.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply!

When I add the following lines to the YML File. the Winlogbeat service won't start. I'm I doing something wrong ?

- name: ForwardedEvents
  tags: [forwarded]
  processors:
  - script:
      when.equals.winlog.channel: Security
      lang: javascript
      id: security
      file: ${path.home}/module/security/config/winlogbeat-security.js
  - script:
      when.equals.winlog.channel: Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational
      lang: javascript
      id: sysmon
      file: ${path.home}/module/sysmon/config/winlogbeat-sysmon.js```

Are those three backticks ``` part of your file?

Can you run .\winlogbeat.exe test config and .\winlogbeat export config and see if you notice any issues.

No those backticks aren't part of my file. thanks for asking
Also this is Error what I get after running command
.\winlogbeat export config

PS C:\Program Files\Winlogbeat> .\winlogbeat export config 2020-05-07 15:18:02.6331736 -0400 EDT m=+0.060222701 write error: failed to rotate backups: failed to rotate backups: re name C:\Program Files\Winlogbeat\logs\winlogbeat.1 C:\Program Files\Winlogbeat\logs\winlogbeat.2: Access is denied. 2020-05-07 15:18:02.6411611 -0400 EDT m=+0.068210001 write error: failed to rotate backups: failed to rotate backups: re name C:\Program Files\Winlogbeat\logs\winlogbeat.1 C:\Program Files\Winlogbeat\logs\winlogbeat.2: Access is denied.

Maybe you weren't running as an administrator? If you add a -e it should log to stderr and avoid that issue.

Hi Andrew,
The test config came ok. But still not getting failed authentications in SIEM, while in discover tab I was able to find different failed logon events. I've created a work around to visualize failed auths in dashboards until I figure out how to get failed authentication on elastic SIEM.

Thanks,
Wilfred

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.