Elastic Stack QRadar Integration

Hi,

So I have been playing with forwarding events from QRadar to the Elastic Stack. I have configured QRadar to forward events to Logstash via TCP in JSON format.

On Logstash I have...

Input:

input {
   tcp {
       port => 5141
       codec => "json_lines"
       }
}

Filter:

filter {
  if [type] in [ "Event", "Flow" ] {
     mutate {
        remove_field => [ "name", "version", "isoTimeFormat" ]
        rename => { "type" => "offense_type" }
     }
     mutate {
        replace => { "type" => "qradar_json" }
     }
     date {
        match => [ "start_time", "ISO8601" ]
        target => "@timestamp"
     }
   }
}

Output:

output {
   stdout { codec => rubydebug }
   elasticsearch {
      hosts => "localhost:9200"
      index => "qradar-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
   }
}

When starting Logstash with this configuration I get the following errors:

[nioEventLoopGroup-2-1] jsonlines - JSON parse error, original data now in message field {:error=>#<LogStash::Json::ParserError: Unexpected character ('<' (code 60)): expected a valid value (number, String, array, object, 'true', 'false' or 'null')

When looking into the event itself I see:

"message" => "<01>- hostname {\"name\":\"Elastic Data\",\"version\":\"1.0\",\"isoTimeFormat\":\"yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.SSSZ\",\"type\":\"Event\",\"category\":\"APISuccess\",\"protocolID\":\"255\",\"sev\":\"3\",\...

So it seems the problem is at "<01>" (if I'm reading this correctly) beginning of the message. In Elasticsearch none of the key/value pairs are being extracted into fields but are all in the message field.

Could anyone advise as to how I could fix this? Should I attempt to remove the problematic characters with the filter? Could the codec on the input be the problem?

It looks like whatever is sending the message is using a syslog format. You cannot use a codec to parse it. You could use dissect, or mutate+gsub to strip the initial part of the message, then use a json filter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.