Elasticsearch installation

I'm not familiar with the ML code. There may be another exception before that one, though. In any case, have you tried that suggestion in the log?

@eugestel If possible I would go with your suggestion to start from scratch and note every configuration change you make that differs from the defaults. Also make sure you remove the Elasticsearch folders, as they will retain configurations and also the data directory. This way you have a fresh installation.

You should at first see if it runs with no configuration changed and then slowly change the necessary parameters.

@ nahh, Thank you so much. THat suggestion finally did it. All I had to do was to append the statement

`xpack.ml.enabled=false` 

to the configuration file /etc/elasticsearch/e;asticsearch.yml as I could not find the file where to uncomment it .

After that, the log also indicated that I had to configure at least one of the discovery items. I did that and that did it. Thanks a lot Below is that log for discovery and the final status of ES: 

eugene@eooubuserver:~$ sudo cat /var/log/Elasticsearch/Elasticsearch.log | tail
[2021-10-07T14:29:56,754][INFO ][o.e.x.s.c.f.PersistentCache] [eooubuserver] persistent cache index loaded
[2021-10-07T14:29:57,562][INFO ][o.e.t.TransportService ] [eooubuserver] publish_address {192.168.1.115:9300}, bound_addresses {192.168.1.115:9300}
[2021-10-07T14:29:58,403][INFO ][o.e.b.BootstrapChecks ] [eooubuserver] bound or publishing to a non-loopback address, enforcing bootstrap checks
[2021-10-07T14:29:58,448][ERROR][o.e.b.Bootstrap ] [eooubuserver] node validation exception
[1] bootstrap checks failed. You must address the points described in the following [1] lines before starting Elasticsearch.
bootstrap check failure [1] of [1]: the default discovery settings are unsuitable for production use; at least one of [discovery.seed_hosts, discovery.seed_providers, cluster.initial_master_nodes] must be configured
[2021-10-07T14:29:58,492][INFO ][o.e.n.Node ] [eooubuserver] stopping ...
[2021-10-07T14:29:58,662][INFO ][o.e.n.Node ] [eooubuserver] stopped
[2021-10-07T14:29:58,667][INFO ][o.e.n.Node ] [eooubuserver] closing ...
[2021-10-07T14:29:58,811][INFO ][o.e.n.Node ] [eooubuserver] closed

ugene@eooubuserver:~$ sudo systemctl status elasticsearch.service 
[sudo] password for eugene: 
● elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; enable>
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service.d
             └─startup-timeout.conf
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-10-07 14:58:27 EDT; 17min ago
       Docs: https://www.elastic.co
   Main PID: 1503296 (java)
      Tasks: 35 (limit: 3396)
     Memory: 1.4G
     CGroup: /system.slice/elasticsearch.service
             └─1503296 /usr/share/elasticsearch/jdk/bin/java -Xshare:auto >

Oct 07 14:53:25 eooubuserver systemd[1]: Starting Elasticsearch...
Oct 07 14:54:16 eooubuserver systemd-entrypoint[1506991]: si_signo 4, si_c>
Oct 07 14:58:27 eooubuserver systemd[1]: Started Elasticsearch.
eugene@eooubuserver:~$ 

Thank you.

My config is as follows - elasticsearch.yml for a single node server.

# ----------------------------------- Memory -----------------------------------
#
# Lock the memory on startup:
#
bootstrap.memory_lock: true
#
# Make sure that the heap size is set to about half the memory available
# on the system and that the owner of the process is allowed to use this
# limit.
#
# Elasticsearch performs poorly when the system is swapping the memory.
#

Also

# ---------------------------------- Network -----------------------------------
#
# By default Elasticsearch is only accessible on localhost. Set a different
# address here to expose this node on the network:
#
network.host: 192.168.0.3
#
# By default Elasticsearch listens for HTTP traffic on the first free port it
# finds starting at 9200. Set a specific HTTP port here:
#
#http.port: 9200
#
# For more information, consult the network module documentation.
#
# --------------------------------- Discovery ----------------------------------
#
# Pass an initial list of hosts to perform discovery when this node is started:
# The default list of hosts is ["127.0.0.1", "[::1]"]
#
#discovery.seed_hosts: ["host1", "host2"]
#
# Bootstrap the cluster using an initial set of master-eligible nodes:
#
#cluster.initial_master_nodes: ["node-1", "node-2"]
#
# For more information, consult the discovery and cluster formation module documentation.
#
discovery.type: single-node
#
# ---------------------------------- Various -----------------------------------

these are the only other parameters i have set in my elasticsearch configuration

cluster.name: XXXXXXXX
#
# ------------------------------------ Node ------------------------------------
#
# Use a descriptive name for the node:
#
node.name: xxxxxxxxx
#
#
# ----------------------------------- Paths ------------------------------------
#
# Path to directory where to store the data (separate multiple locations by comma):
#
path.data: /var/lib/elasticsearch
#
# Path to log files:
#
path.logs: /var/log/elasticsearch

# ---------------------------------- Various -----------------------------------
#
# Require explicit names when deleting indices:
#
action.destructive_requires_name: true

Great to see you got it running finally. So it was the following line you added into elasticsearch.yml?

xpack.ml.enabled=false

Maybe that's set to true by default even it was not in elasticsearch.yml. Good to know.

That's correct from what it appears. Thanks to all of you guys .

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.