Elasticsearch performance in HDD vs SSD and 32 GB vs 64 GB of RAM

This blog post, while old, is still about right. TLDR disk usage will often be within a factor of 2 of the input data size (either way) depending on the data and the mappings

Don't store large binary data like images in ES, it's a waste of your valuable in-cluster resources. Put them somewhere cheaper, with a link stored in ES which points to the binary data. You can index them if you want to use vector search, just don't store them there. See store | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic for a little more info on the difference.

1 Like

Thanks David. Yes, that sounds like a good idea. We can store the images in S3 or some other storage and do just the indexing, classifying elsewhere. Just curious - the accompanying Medium article (for some reason I am unable to paste the link here, the post is flagged) seemed very promising. This was obviously a basic idea, to make a proper image search engine, we have to employ a combination of sophisticated NLP, vector feature extraction, self-supervised classification, random forests, etc. Will all this be possible by just running the classification, feature extraction, etc. on ES while the actual images are stored in a different server, like S3, for serving to the end user?

Thanks. I won't. I will stick to 50 GB shard sizes as you and others have explained in this post. I was using this just as an example. My concern is that server with SSD and high RAM (~64 GB) is very expensive, so I need a way to have an idea of how much space I might end up needing to index 5 PB of data (plus its replicas, assuming only one replica for now), so that I can estimate the potential cost of such an endeavour.

Not sure, this is outside my area of expertise. I would hope so, but you might do better to open a separate thread on this question because the experts in this area have probably stopped reading this thread by now.

Got it. Thanks a lot, David. You opened up my mind towards an area I wouldn't have thought of by myself! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.