Error 8.5.0 running as systemctl service

I have a new installation of logstash 8.5.0 at Alma 9 from the repo
When I run logstash as user logstash from the command line everything works as expocted

sudo -u logstash /usr/share/logstash/bin/logstash "--path.settings" "/etc/logstash"

[2022-11-07T01:06:03,370][INFO ][logstash.javapipeline    ][.monitoring-logstash] Pipeline Java execution initialization time {"seconds"=>0.45}
[2022-11-07T01:06:03,447][INFO ][logstash.javapipeline    ][.monitoring-logstash] Pipeline started {"pipeline.id"=>".monitoring-logstash"}
[2022-11-07T01:06:03,499][INFO ][logstash.javapipeline    ][main] Pipeline started {"pipeline.id"=>"main"}
[2022-11-07T01:06:03,558][INFO ][logstash.agent           ] Pipelines running {:count=>2, :running_pipelines=>[:".monitoring-logstash", :main], :non_running_pipelines=>[]}

When I start logstash as service ( systemctl start logstash ) it starts an endless loop of remove pipelines , shutting down and restartng.

[2022-11-07T00:58:44,378][INFO ][logstash.pipelinesregistry] Removed pipeline from registry successfully {:pipeline_id=>:".monitoring-logstash"}
[2022-11-07T00:58:44,424][INFO ][logstash.runner          ] Logstash shut down.

the pipelines.yml , logstash.yml are default , I have only a minimum stdin.stdout conf file for testing. I test and search almost anything without success .
Thanks, George Bouras

Are you using stdin as the input while running it a a service?

Try to change to tcp input with a random port, since there is no input for stdin when you run Logstash as a service, so the pipeline may not work as expected.

Test with something like this:

input {
    tcp {
        port => "10000"
    }
}

Using the tcp input as you advised the service restart loop stopped.

Actually we have many pipelines at 8.5.0 that working fine at our kubernetes.
The problem arised when I install it as rpm for development and trying to verify the basic functionality.

thanks for you help.
G. Bouras

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.