ERROR instance/beat.go:971 Exiting: resource 'filebeat-7.12.0' exists, but it is not an alias

Hello,

I am in the process of installing filebeats 7.12 on some elastic cluster nodes in my dev environment and when I run:

sudo filebeat setup -e

On one of my nodes, I receive this error. ERROR instance/beat.go:971 Exiting: resource 'filebeat-7.12.0' exists, but it is not an alias

Before I ran this, I did a yum remove of filebeat, we were using an older version, and this is in our DEV environment and I just wanted a clean slate. I have done this on another node and had no issues. I followed some of the guidelines for the ILM setting such as:

setup.ilm.enabled: true
setup.ilm.overwrite: true

But that threw up a different error, so I commented out those lines in the filebeat.yml file.

We are hitting a Kibana 7.8 version, not sure if that is an issue or we have to upgrade Kibana first to 7.12.

Again, I ran this same setup on another node with no issues. So my guess is now that I have moved onto the next filebeat install on the next node it is trying to overwrite and can't.

Thank you.

1 Like

Did you try to remove that indice from ES before installing new filebeat?

Excuse my ignorance but how do I remove the indice from Elasticsearch? Thank you.

U can do it from the index management page in kibana or use the api, Delete index API | Elasticsearch Guide [7.12] | Elastic

Okay, thank you. I removed the indices. But now I am getting a completely different error.

ERROR instance/beat.go:971 Exiting: 1 error: error loading index pattern: parsing kibana response: invalid character '<' looking for beginning of value. Response: Elastic @font-face { font-... (truncated)
Exiting: 1 error: error loading index pattern: parsing kibana response: invalid character '<' looking for beginning of value. Response: Elastic @font-face { font-... (truncated)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.