ERROR runtime/panic.go:44 ParseMemcache(UDP) exception. Recovering, but please report this

Version 7.2.0 Packetbeat on an Ubuntu 14.0.4 host monitoring traffic on a dedicated SPAN port. Crashed on this error:

2019-08-29T18:37:54.446Z ERROR runtime/panic.go:44 ParseMemcache(UDP) exception. Recovering, but please report this. {"panic": "runtime error: index out of range", "stack": "github.com/elastic/beats/libbeat/logp.Recover\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/libbeat/logp/global.go:105\nruntime.gopanic\n\t/usr/local/go/src/runtime/panic.go:522\nruntime.panicindex\n\t/usr/local/go/src/runtime/panic.go:44\ngithub.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/protos/memcache.(*udpMessage).addDatagram\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/protos/memcache/plugin_udp.go:316\ngithub.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/protos/memcache.(*memcache).ParseUDP\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/protos/memcache/plugin_udp.go:127\ngithub.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/protos/udp.(*UDP).Process\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/protos/udp/udp.go:76\ngithub.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/decoder.(*Decoder).onUDP\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/decoder/decoder.go:335\ngithub.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/decoder.(*Decoder).process\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/decoder/decoder.go:283\ngithub.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/decoder.(*Decoder).OnPacket\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/decoder/decoder.go:194\ngithub.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/sniffer.(*Sniffer).Run\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/sniffer/sniffer.go:210\ngithub.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/beater.(*packetbeat).Run.func2\n\t/go/src/github.com/elastic/beats/packetbeat/beater/packetbeat.go:227"}

I have not been able to reproduce, but have tcpdump running in case it does.

Hello, thanks for reaching out about this packetbeat issue. Have you experienced this crash again?

Thanks.

Hi Michael - thanks for the response.

Have not reproduced yet, but we are working on a test case in our lab that we are hoping will repeatably reproduce.

Cheers.

We have reproduced the issue and determined the cause. Our vulnerability scanner sends a significant amount of memcached traffic to all IPs in our (small office subnet). The crash occurs reliably during the spike. I do have individual pcaps of the traffic (will upload a moloch screen capture), but aggregating all of them would take some time...

I believe we can close this issue, we'll simply set up a bpf filter for the vuln scanner IP, but if you need/want pcaps we can provide. I believe packetbeat should be able to handle this, but do understand if it can't.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.