Error to run logstash

indent preformatted text by 4 spacesI got following error on console when tried to start the logstash.

root@111:/opt/logstash/bin# /opt/logstash/bin/logstash -f /etc/logstash/conf.d/10-syslog-filter.conf --configtest
Error: Expected one of #, => at line 4, column 18 (byte 39) after filter {

grok {
PATHELEM {:level=>:error}

Here is my logstash conf file:

filter {

grok {
PATHELEMindent preformatted text by 4 spaces [^/]+
TASKPATH ^/var/lib/mesos/slave/slaves/%{PATHELEM:agent}/frameworks/%{PATHELEM:framework}/executors/%{PATHELEM:executor}/runs/%{PATHELEM:run}
match => ["file" , "%{TASKPATH}" ]
}
}

Can you paste the entire config. Please use the code formatting. It is very difficult to read the JSON.

grok {
PATHELEMindent preformatted text by 4 spaces [^/]+
TASKPATH ^/var/lib/mesos/slave/slaves/%{PATHELEM:agent}/frameworks/%{PATHELEM:framework}/executors/%{PATHELEM:executor}/runs/%{PATHELEM:run}
match => ["file" , "%{TASKPATH}" ]
}
}

Is this actually what your configuration looks like? You simply can't define new grok patterns inside the grok filter. You have to define them in a separate file.

thank you so much. I will make this change and try.

I crate a separate pattern file under pattern directory and content of this file is :

THELEM [^/]+
TASKPATH ^/var/lib/mesos/slave/slaves/%{PATHELEM:agent}/frameworks/% indent preformatted text by 4 spaces{PATHELEM:framework}/executors/% indent preformatted text by 4 spaces{PATHELEM:executor}/runs/%indent preformatted text by 4 spaces{PATHELEM:run}

and now logstash conf file look like this

filter {
grok {
patterns_dir => "/pattern"
match => { "file" => "%{TASKPATH}" }
}
}

but got following error when tried to start the logstash.

{:timestamp=>"2016-08-15T10:28:03.118000-0500", :message=>"An unexpected `error occurred!", :error=>#<Grok::PatternError: pattern %{TASKPATH} not defined>, :class=>"Grok::PatternError"}

I followed this https://docs.mesosphere.com/1.7/administration/logging/filter-elk/ link as guide line.

Any help is highly appreciated.

even I got the same error after providing the complete path of pattern file like
patterns_dir => "/etc/logstash/pattern/"

Thanks
Rai

With all the "indent preformatted text by 4 spaces" garbage it's hard to understand what the file actually looks like.

Where's the definition of PATHELEM that you're using in multiple places in TASKPATH? Did you mean THELEM instead?

Hi Magnu
I am really sorry for formatting issue. As you mentioned before to use </> to format the text and that's what I did.

pattern file

PATHELEM [^/]+

beats-input.conf file

input {
beats {
port => 5044
ssl => true
ssl_certificate => "/etc/pki/tls/certs/logstash-forwarder.crt"
ssl_key => "/etc/pki/tls/private/logstash-forwarder.key"
}
}

mesosphere-filter.conf

filter {
grok {