Exception: java.lang.ThreadDeath thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread - logstash.err

Hi,

My logstash.err file continues to have vague details about an exception added to it that unfortunately my favourite search engine has not been able to enlighten me one:

cat /var/log/logstash/logstash.err
'[DEPRECATED] use `require 'concurrent'` instead of `require 'concurrent_ruby'`

Exception: java.lang.ThreadDeath thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Thread-33"

Exception: java.lang.ThreadDeath thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Thread-93"

Exception: java.lang.ThreadDeath thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Thread-124"

Exception: java.lang.ThreadDeath thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Thread-175"

Exception: java.lang.ThreadDeath thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Thread-223"

Exception: java.lang.ThreadDeath thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Thread-373"

Exception: java.lang.ThreadDeath thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Thread-415"

There is nothing unusual in my logstash.log file.

Details of my system:

cat /etc/centos-release && yum info elasticsearch | grep "Version\|Name" && yum info logstash | grep "Version\|Name" && java -version
CentOS release 6.6 (Final)
Name        : elasticsearch
Version     : 1.7.2
Name        : logstash
Version     : 1.5.3
openjdk version "1.8.0_31"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

Does anyone know what would cause this type of excpetion in Logstash or how best to go about troubleshooting it in a live enviroment?

What about your config?

Hi,

Just updating should anyone else come accross this thread and to thank Mark (user warkolm) for trying to to help.

When I disabled multiline the issue went away, which due to being something required and a standard logstash feature prompted me to think it might be a resource issue (though java version, heap size, etc all as per recommendations, along with top and iotop not indicating any issues) so moved the elastic search instance off the same server (a week ago) and have not seen the issue since.

Issue appears to of been caused by running the centralised logstash indexer with multiline and an elasticsearch instance on the same server (though top and iotop did not show any issues). Resolution was seperating logstash and elasticsearch completely. Not sure how a person would identify that issue from a "java.lang.ThreadDeath" exception other than through process of elimination.

:slight_smile: