Expected one of #, \", ', -, [, / at line 77, column 52 (byte 2039)

Failed to execute action {:action=>LogStash::PipelineAction::Create/pipeline_id:main, :exception=>"LogStash::ConfigurationError", :message=>"Expected one of #, ", ', -, [, / at line 77, column 52 (byte 2039) after filter {\n\t#Extract key value pairs from fields\n\tkv {\n\t\tsource => "_fields"\n\t\tfield_split => ";"\n\t}\n # Unify the format of MessageType\n if ([operation] == "unmarshalRequest") {\n mutate {\n add_field => {"messageType" => "%{request}Request"}\n }\n }\n if ([messageType] == "CreateOrder" or [messageType] == "ChangeOrder") {\n if ([stage] == "end") {\n mutate {\n update => {"messageType" => "%{messageType}Response"}\n }\n }\n }\n\truby {\n\t code => "event.set('kafka_retry_time', (Time.now.getutc.to_i - event.get('@timestamp').to_i) / 60)"\n\t}\n\n # check the retry time and retry count\n\tif ([kafka_retry_count] and [kafka_retry_count] > ", :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/compiler.rb:42:in `compile_imperative'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/compiler.rb:50:in `compile_graph'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/compiler.rb:12:in `block in compile_sources'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:2486:in `map'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/compiler.rb:11:in `compile_sources'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:51:in `initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:169:in `initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline_action/create.rb:40:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:315:in `block in converge_state'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:141:in `with_pipelines'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:312:in `block in converge_state'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1734:in `each'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:299:in `converge_state'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:166:in `block in converge_state_and_update'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:141:in `with_pipelines'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:164:in `converge_state_and_update'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:90:in `execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:348:in `block in execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/stud-0.0.23/lib/stud/task.rb:24:in `block in initialize'"]}

filter {
	#Extract key value pairs from fields
	kv {
		source => "_fields"
		field_split => ";"
	}
    # Unify the format of MessageType
    if ([operation] == "unmarshalRequest") {
        mutate {
            add_field => {"messageType" => "%{request}Request"}
        }
    }
    if ([messageType] == "CreateOrder" or [messageType] == "ChangeOrder") {
        if ([stage] == "end") {
            mutate {
                update => {"messageType" => "%{messageType}Response"}
            }
        }
    }
	ruby {
	    code => "event.set('kafka_retry_time') = (Time.now.getutc.to_i - event.get('@timestamp').to_i) / 60"
	}

# check the retry time and retry count
	if ([kafka_retry_count] and [kafka_retry_count] > ${KAFKA_MAX_RETRY_COUNT} and [kafka_retry_time]> ${KAFKA_MAX_RETRY_TIME}) {
	    ruby {
	        code => "puts 'Max Retries Reached:' + event.get('kafka_retry_count').to_s + '---' + event.get('kafka_retry_time').to_s + '---' + event.get('orderOperationCorrelationID').to_s"
	    }
	    drop{}
	}...

I could build this on my local machine, but on a remote machine, keeps getting this error message.

*typo of error message and code

And you say your configuration contains

if ([kafka_retry_count] and [kafka_retry_time]> ${KAFKA_MAX_RETRY_TIME}) {

That is not consistent (one is checking the retry_time and the other the retry_count), but it suggests it is failing when it tries to parse the environment substitution ${KAFKA_MAX_RETRY_TIME}.

The documentation says "You can set environment variable references in the configuration for Logstash plugins by using ${var} ." You are trying to do an environment variable reference in the logic of the filter, which is not a plugin configuration. It is not, as far as I know, expected to work.

@Badger

Thanks for your response, regarding the inconsistency, that was my fault for copying the wrong code which I modified post-error message. Please see latest edit.

Actually I have tried using just integers instead of environment variable, there is still some hidden underlying issue (which I suspect it shouldnt be because of the env variable when my local machine can built). Will get back to you upon better investigation.

If you want to post a configuration, then paste it into the edit pane, select it, and click on </> in the toolbar above the edit pane. That will indent it, which results in the formatting and special characters being preserved.

1 Like

I was actually able to reproduce this issue on my local machine now. And that seems to be a env ariable issue after I forced a regular value... but this document suggests that environment variable works within filters?

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/environment-variables.html

It works within plugins.

filter {
    if "${KAFKA_MAX_RETRY_COUNT}" ...

is NOT inside a plugin. However, you could do

mutate { add_field => { "[@metadata][kafka_max_retry_count]" => "${KAFKA_MAX_RETRY_COUNT}" } }
mutate { convert => { "[@metadata][kafka_max_retry_count]" => "integer" } }
if [@metadata][kafka_max_retry_count] ...

and that will work. (Fields inside [@metadata] are not added to the event that is output, so it is handy for stashing temporary variables.)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.