Fatal Error starting Logstash 6.1.1

Hi all,
I have installed Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana with X-packs, in version 6.1.1

During the start of Logstash, I receive this FATAL:

[FATAL] 2018-01-08 10:49:01.377 [main] runner - An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<TypeError: no implicit conversion of nil into String>, :backtrace=>["org/jruby/RubyFileTest.java:96:in directory?'", "org/jruby/RubyFileTest.java:88:indirectory?'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:464:in block in value'", "org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:1741:intap'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:463:in value'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:60:inget_value'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/environment.rb:84:in block in LogStash'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:121:inblock in post_process'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1734:in each'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/settings.rb:120:inpost_process'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/util/settings_helper.rb:26:in post_process'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:218:inexecute'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:in run'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:214:inrun'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:in run'", "/opt/tibco/elk_atos/product/logstash-6.1.1/lib/bootstrap/environment.rb:67:in'"]}

I have used the "simply" config file, suggested in the installation and configuration steps (logstash-simple.conf) :

input { stdin { } }
output {
elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"] }
stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

Thanks in advance.
D.

1. How are you starting Logstash?
  2. Please post your logstash.yml file contents.

The error is coming from post-processing on the "path.data" setting where the code checks whether the value is a valid directory but the value is nil.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!
The parameter "path.data" was empty.
Best regards
D.

But LS is supposed to work with defaults if it is not set explicitly, i.e. out of the box!!!

I'm testing with ES 6.1.1 and LS 6.1.1 with xpack installed on both.

Can't recreate.

I am sorry about that, but maybe the reason could be that there are two version of logstash (and elasticsearch and kibana too) installed on the same machine (6.0.1 and 6.1.1), even if the 6.0.1 is not running?
I don't see any other reason. In the previous version config file (logstash.yml) the path.data parameter was empty too.
Thanks a lot,
D.

:+1:

exatly i am also facing the same issue..i am using 5.6 and 6.1.1 versions of ES&Ls in both "path.data" was empty only...can u suggest me how to solve this issue.thankz

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.