Field is present but missing

Hello,

I'll start off by saying I am very new to Kibana. With a lot of googling I have managed to come as far as I have, but now I am stuck. I am reading log files and in the Discover tag I can finally see the fields I have added (but only when I uncheck "Hide Missing Fields), but they do not seem to contain anything.
However, when try it out in a Grok debugger (https://grokdebug.herokuapp.com/) it looks like it's supposed to work.

This is how the log lines look:
2018-10-15 09:02:04,254 [121] INFO System.Object: Cookie settings level: 2

And this is my config file:

input { 
	file {
		path => "path to log.log"   
		start_position => "beginning"
		codec => multiline {
			pattern => "^%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:log_timestamp} \[%{NUMBER:thread_id}\] %{WORD:log_level}"
			negate => true
			what => "previous"
		}

type => "test_info"
	}
}

output {

if "test_info" == [type] {
		elasticsearch {
			hosts => ["10.21.4.37:9200"]
			index => "test_info"
			document_type => "episerver_info"
		}
	}
}

filter {
	if "test_info" == [type] {
		grok {
			match => [ "message", "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:log_timestamp} \[%{NUMBER:thread_id}\] %{WORD:log_level} %{DATA:info_class}: %{GREEDYDATA:info_message}"]
		}
	}
}

I have looked around for hours now trying to figure out what I am missing. I have updated the index several times but that does not change anything. How come I managed to get my fields as I want in the Grok debugger, but Kabana/Elasticsearch somehow ignores to add data in them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I moved this over to the logstash category

1 Like

Thank you. I wasn't quite sure where it belonged.

We managed to figure it out. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.