Fields merging in 6.0 differs from 5.x

Hi!

I was in the process of upgrade my filebeats from 5.6 to 6.0. But it broke my logstash pipeline. The reason is -- I think -- a bug in the merging fields process of the fields option in the yaml config file.

My configuration is as follow:

filebeat.prospectors:

- input_type: log
  paths:
    - /xxx/ansible_events/events.log
  fields:
    type: ansible_events

paths:
    - /xxx/xxx/log/main.log
  include_lines: ['^\[info\]'] # include info log
  exclude_lines: ['\)$', 'GET /users ', 'GET /ping '] # exclude lines that doesn't have the Sent information and also /users and /ping
  fields:
    type: cs_main

paths:
    - /var/log/syslog
    - /var/log/auth.log
    - /var/log/kern.log
  fields:
    type: syslog

name: filebeat

fields:
  env: production
  datacenter: yyyy
  group: zzzz

output.logstash:
  hosts: ["x.x.x.x:5044"]

path.data: /xxx/elastic_beats/filebeat/data
path.logs: /xxxx/elastic_beats/filebeat/log

I do all the sorting on the fields.type field. Everything worked fine in 5.6.4, the files syslog,auth.log and kern.log would have fields.type set to syslog. events.log would have it set to ansible_events and main.log to cs_main.

After upgrading to 6.0.0 all my events were set to syslog. A quick debugging showed that filebeat was taking the last input_type declared. To prove it, I just moved some section on top to the bottom and all of the events got that fields.type.

Sounds like a bug and requires some investigation. Can you report this bug on github please?

Sure, I'll do it tomorrow.

Thank you for responding.

I've opened the issue here: https://github.com/elastic/beats/issues/5795

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.