Filebeat 6.7.1 high CPU usage

I'm observing high CPU utilization with filebeat in trivial cases when running on Amazon Linux
Given a fresh install of filebeat with the config:

filebeat.inputs:
- paths: [/var/log/testlog]
  type: log
logging.level: debug
output.file:
  path: "/tmp/filebeat"
  enabled: true

/var/log/testlog is an empty file that I touch on the system.

When I run top I see:

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
22329 root      20   0  561m  40m  28m S 100.2  8.7   0:27.71 filebeat

I'm running filebeat as a service with the init.d script and my registry does not exist on startup.
This configuration was not creating high CPU usage for 6.3.2
What's causing the high CPU usage?

Hi,

Would it be possible to run a CPU profile like this:

filebeat -e --cpuprofile=cpuprofile.pprof

Then if you can send us that cpuprofile.pprof together the information of which OS you are on would be of great help. Thank you.

[ec2-user@ip-100-76-171-162 ~]$ cat /etc/os-release 
NAME="Amazon Linux AMI"
VERSION="2018.03"
ID="amzn"
ID_LIKE="rhel fedora"
VERSION_ID="2018.03"
PRETTY_NAME="Amazon Linux AMI 2018.03"
ANSI_COLOR="0;33"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:amazon:linux:2018.03:ga"
HOME_URL="http://aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-ami/"

Also to note, we are running the dynatrace oneagent on the host (trying to migrate from dynatrace to ELK), I've stopped the agent while running filebeat with pprof.

How should I send the pprof file?

On further investigation this issue seems to be caused by a dynatrace library on the system, disabling dynatace's golang support resolves the issue. I'll bring the matter up with them. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.