Filebeat AWS-S3 input "multiple json fields found"

I'm using input type AWS-S3 to fetch S3 objects, and I'm getting them from a SQS notification.

These objects are log group streams from CloudWatch, which are logs from a Lambda function.

The problem is that I'm getting almost the entire log under a single field named "message" in Kibana.

Looking at the Filebeat logs, I can see that the error.message is "parsing input as JSON: multiple json elements found", and error.field is "message".

And I can see why that is when looking at my S3 objects: They contain some info from SQS, and also the whole log stream from Cloudwatch, which means there's multiple "message" objects, accross multiple levels of the json.

How should a Processor look like to handle such case?

Here's an example of how my S3 object looks like:

{
  "messageType": "DATA_MESSAGE",
  "owner": "123456789012",
  "logGroup": "/aws/lambda/myapp-adapter",
  "logStream": "2024/03/14/[$LATEST]STREAM",
  "subscriptionFilters": [
      "Subscription Filter"
  ],
  "logEvents": [
      {
      "id": "some-id",
      "timestamp": 1710431203354,
      "message": "{\"level\":\"INFO\",\"message\":\"Refreshing Oauth tokens\",\"service\":\"myappPublicApp\",\"timestamp\":\"2024-03-14T15:46:43.354Z\",\"xray_trace_id\":\"xray-id\",\"adapter\":\"myapp\",\"class\":\"myappApiClient\",\"userId\":1,\"eventType\":\"myapp Oauth\"}\n"
      },
      {
      "timestamp": 1710431203913,
      "message": "{\"level\":\"ERROR\",\"message\":\"Failed to refresh access token\",\"service\":\"myappPublicApp\",\"timestamp\":\"2024-03-14T15:46:43.896Z\",\"xray_trace_id\":\"xray-id\",\"class\":\"getmyappClient\",\"userId\":1,\"eventType\":\"myapp Oauth\",\"error\":{\"message\":\"Request failed with status code 400\",\"name\":\"AxiosError\",\"stack\":\"AxiosError: Request failed with status code 400\\n"
      },
      {
      "timestamp": 1710431203914,
      "message": "2024-03-14T15:46:43.914Z\tSOME-UUID\tERROR\tInvoke Error \t{\"errorType\":\"Error\",\"errorMessage\":\"\",\"stack\":[\"Error\",\"    at /var/task/bundle/myappAdapter.js:679:15\",\"    at Generator.throw (<anonymous>)\",\"    at rejected (/var/task/bundle/myappAdapter.js:629:65)\",\"    at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)\"]}\n"
      }
  ]
}

As you can see, there's multiple of "message" element as they're part of an array.

Here's the two Filebeat logs I got when it tried to process the above file:

{
    "log.level":"debug",
    "@timestamp":"2024-03-15T08:08:39.641Z",
    "log.logger":"truncate_fields",
    "log.origin": {
        "function":"github.com/elastic/beats/v7/libbeat/processors/actions.(*decodeJSONFields).Run",
        "file.name":"actions/decode_json_fields.go",
        "file.line":123
    },
    "message":"Error trying to unmarshal <Whole S3 file content, same as above>",
    "service.name":"filebeat",
    "ecs.version":"1.6.0"
}
{
    "log.level":"debug"
    "@timestamp":"2024-03-15T08:08:39.642Z",
    "log.logger":"processors",
    "log.origin":{
        "function":"github.com/elastic/beats/v7/libbeat/publisher/processing.(*group).Run",
        "file.name":"processing/processors.go",
        "file.line":136
    },
    "message":"Fail to apply processor global{decode_json_fields=message}: multiple json elements found",
    "service.name":"filebeat",
    "ecs.version":"1.6.0"
}

Finally, this is how I've set up my processor:

filebeat.inputs:
  - type: aws-s3
    queue_url: ""
    json.keys_under_root: true
processors:
  - decode_json_fields:
      fields: ["message"]
      process_array: true
      target: ""
      overwrite_keys: true
      add_error_key: true

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.