Filebeat configuration

Hello all,

This week I started looking into ELK to monitor our K8s cluster. Sorry if this is a newbie question :slight_smile:

I installed ELK (Elastic and Kibana) on a separate VM (not running on K8s) using Docker Compose as documented here: Running the Elastic Stack ("ELK") on Docker | Getting Started [8.2] | Elastic

On a separate K8s cluster I'm running Filebeat as documented here: Run Filebeat on Kubernetes | Filebeat Reference [8.2] | Elastic

So far so good, using the Observability / Logs (stream) I can see the logs from the K8s cluster coming into ELK.

Reading the documentation (e.g. Run Filebeat on Kubernetes | Filebeat Reference [8.2] | Elastic and Monitoring Kubernetes the Elastic way using Filebeat and Metricbeat | Elastic Blog), I'm a little confused about the following:

• Should I also install Filebeat (using Docker) on the ELK stack itself, besides running Filebeat on the K8s cluster?
  • Especially with respect to the out-of-the-box Kibana dashboards for Filebeat? See Run Filebeat on Kubernetes | Filebeat Reference [8.2] | Elastic
  • Is there any Integration / App / Dashboard for Kibana you recommend using to view/inspect/analyse the logs coming in from the Filebeat running on K8s besides using the Log application in Kibana?

Many thanks!

Ronald

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.