Filebeat container config

(Doug Davenport) #1

Greetings,

I'm new to filebeat and trying to understand how to setup a filebeat container to process the logs from several application containers each creating logs at /app/log/*.log

Will this work?

docker run -d -v /app/log --name FB filebeat-image
docker run -d --volumes-from FB --name APP1 app-image
docker run -d --volumes-from FB --name APP2 app-image

OR

docker run -v /app/log --name APP1 app-image
docker run -v /app/log --name APP2 app-image
docker run --volumes-from APP1 --volumes-from APP2 --name FB filebeat-image

OR

what is the best practice?

Thank you,

Doug

(ruflin) #2

I personally would recommend approach one because it works with dynamically adding and removing containers. In your second version you already need to know all containers on start up.

The version I would recommend is to write logs to somewhere on the host machine and mount this into a filebeat container so the logs are not "linked" to any container directly.

(Phaniraj Nagalamadugu) #3

What happens to the state of the file when the filebeat container restarts? Does the newly created/restarted container resumes harvesting the file from where it has left?

Example:
Suppose, i start filebeat container and the container harvests 5 lines of log data i.e. /var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.log of the host machine where the container is running. The filebeat container crashes/restarts. When the filebeat container is back, does the harvesting happens from 6th line?

(ruflin) #4

This depends on where you store the registry file. If the registry file is on a volume that you will reuse, then it will continue. If the registry file disappears with the container, then not.

(Phaniraj Nagalamadugu) #5

Hi ruflin,

It makes more sense to resume from where it has halted. At least in my scenario. How do we control the location of registry file?

Appreciate it!

Thanks
Phaniraj

(ruflin) #6

See https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/5.2/configuration-global-options.html#_registry_file

(Phaniraj Nagalamadugu) #7

Thanks ruflin,

I will map the container registry_file value to host location.

Appreciate your help!

(system) #8

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.