Filebeat has to be restarted to send logs to elasticsearch

I can see that logs are added only after i restart filebeat in client machine. Everytime I have to restart to get the logs updated. Need help in figuring out where the fault is.
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE : with scan_frequency set im able to update logs dynamically. But the process is very slow. Is there a way to find out how fast logstash is sending files to elastic search?

Can you please share your filebeat configuration and log file (if possible)?

filebeat.prospectors:

• input_type: log

paths:

• /var/log/auth.log
    • /var/log/syslog
    • /var/www/magento/var/log/system.log
    • /var/www/magento/var/log/exception.log
      scan_frequency: 1s

output.logstash:
hosts: ["logstash.computenext.com:5443"]
bulk_max_size: 2048
ssl.certificate_authorities: ["/etc/filebeat/logstash.crt"]
template.name: "filebeat"
template.path: "filebeat.template.json"
template.overwrite: false

This is my filebeat config file.
Is there anything that i can do to my filebeat.yml to speed up the process?
sorry for the format. I am new here.

The scan_frequency setting is for configuring how fast filebeat picks up new logs files. Your configuration is set to read fixed log files only, so the scan_frequency should have effect here.

Also, those template.* settings are not valid logstash output settings. This should not be causing any problem, but I recommend to remove it.

Lastly, besides the issue above, I don't see any other issue with your configuration that could be causing what you are reporting. If you share the filebeat logs maybe we can find out other issues.

Well that had some effect. I reduced the scan_frequency and it doubled the thoroughput. Thanks for the help @thiago.

If possible have a look at another issue that i've been facing. Here is the link
Filebeat in windows is unable to send logs to logstash in Ubuntu server

Thanks in advance.

I am glad that your problem is solved but keep in mind that the setting scan_frequency does not configures how fast a log file is read. Also setting scan_frequency to less then 1s is not recommended.

I strongly recommend that you read the documentation about scan_frequency setting

Getting the double throughput must be because of restarting filebeat. I've just read what is there in your link and found that i can use close_inactive to get the logs close to real time. Thanks a lot @thiago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.