Filebeat input: intentional delay for specific source

Hi,

Is there a way to intentionally rate limit a certain file (say, one of the matches in the log input pattern /var/log/all-my-services/*.log)?

The use case is that one service on a shared machines logs so much that it backs up either 1) filebeat/logstash or 2) causes bulk index request failures/retries. Either way, it'd have an adverse affect on the log collection of other services running on the same instance.

Thanks!
Justin

Hi @justinw,

It is currently no possible to control the throughput of filebeat, there is an open issue for that https://github.com/elastic/beats/issues/3847.

In the meantime one thing you can try is to limit the number or processes running with max_procs.
You can also try to limit the resources of the process using features of the operating system like cgroups.

Hi @jsoriano,

Thanks for the info. Bummer that ticket is still open. Any idea on when it might get picked up?

Unfortunately cgroups/max_procs will limit filebeat entirely, when I just want to limit one specific noisy neighbor on the host machine. I appreciate the response though.

Thanks, Justin

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.