Filebeat logs unauthorized when addressing old namespaces

Hi elastic team,

I am currently struggling with the following issue.
First I am trying to replace fluentd with filebeat in our kubernetes cluster for log collection.
So far first tests are looking promessing, since I was testing with a newly deployed namespace that I called filebeat...
However, when trying to get some exiting namespaces collected, no logs are being collected, while instead I get the following warning in the logs:

2020-07-30T12:48:17.560Z        WARN    [elasticsearch] elasticsearch/client.go:407     Cannot index event publisher.Event{Content:beat.Event{Timestamp:time.Time{wall:0xa506f86, ext:63731710088, loc:(*time.Location)(nil)}, Meta:null, Fields:{"agent":{"ephemeral_id":"8ba50000-da7f-4881-82d2-2871b478b197","hostname":"5-21-282-887-1-236d55eb","id":"4ad5f100-d441-42ae-8b7e-7a8c565f5e78","name":"5-21-282-887-1-236d55eb","type":"filebeat","version":"7.8.1"},"cloud":{"account":{"id":"118596554645"},"availability_zone":"eu-central-1a","image":{"id":"ami-093d166464cf5d246"},"instance":{"id":"i-0d6ca934e34ffbd3c"},"machine":{"type":"c5.2xlarge"},"provider":"aws","region":"eu-central-1"},"ecs":{"version":"1.5.0"},"host":{"architecture":"x86_64","containerized":true,"hostname":"5-21-282-887-1-236d55eb","id":"1a018e03a49f4bfc904c69b0d6c08959","name":"5-21-282-887-1-236d55eb","os":{"codename":"Core","family":"redhat","kernel":"5.6.2-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64","name":"CentOS Linux","platform":"centos","version":"7 (Core)"}},"input":{"type":"container"},"kubernetes":{"container":{"image":"vault:1.4.2","name":"vault"},"labels":{"app":"vault","pod-template-hash":"7547986f9b"},"namespace":"rzneo","node":{"name":"5-21-282-887-1-236d55eb"},"pod":{"name":"vault-7547986f9b-t9q8h","uid":"d2639f12-0bd9-47af-b66b-974cf32591d8"},"replicaset":{"name":"vault-7547986f9b"}},"log":{"file":{"path":"/var/log/containers/vault-7547986f9b-t9q8h_rzneo_vault-486fbec7c9538b6f3b2402268c6f294908f3386ccec198cc3d694c951a468385.log"},"offset":994990},"message":"2020-07-30T12:48:08.172Z [INFO]  expiration: revoked lease: lease_id=auth/token/create/h267d90e4e7d736dd6804d96a30df2c766027f5c76147feee2f75ccd8e5d0e7f3","stream":"stderr"}, Private:file.State{Id:"", Finished:false, Fileinfo:(*os.fileStat)(0xc0001af040), Source:"/var/log/containers/vault-7547986f9b-t9q8h_rzneo_vault-486fbec7c9538b6f3b2402268c6f294908f3386ccec198cc3d694c951a468385.log", Offset:995212, Timestamp:time.Time{wall:0xbfc0ce00ce704feb, ext:73095592258, loc:(*time.Location)(0x5b261c0)}, TTL:-1, Type:"container", Meta:map[string]string(nil), FileStateOS:file.StateOS{Inode:0x3dd334, Device:0x10309}}, TimeSeries:false}, Flags:0x1, Cache:publisher.EventCache{m:common.MapStr(nil)}} (status=403): {"type":"security_exception","reason":"action [indices:admin/auto_create] is unauthorized for user [elastic-system-filebeat-beat-user]"}

This is a bit confusing to be honest as it is working fine for an just created namespace.
So right now I am not able to use filebeat for any namespace but the one that I created for test purposes.

I am using the following manifest for deployment:

apiVersion: beat.k8s.elastic.co/v1beta1
kind: Beat
metadata:
  name: filebeat
spec:
  type: filebeat
  version: 7.8.1
  elasticsearchRef:
    name: elastic
    namespace: elastic-system
    # Currently this setting requires Kibana to have TLS enabled.
    # See https://github.com/elastic/cloud-on-k8s/issues/3523 for more information.
  kibanaRef:
    name: kibana
  config:
    output.elasticsearch.index: "%{[kubernetes.namespace]}-filebeat-%{+xxxx.ww}"
    setup.template.name: "filebeat"
    setup.template.pattern: "*-filebeat-*"
    setup.template.overwrite: true
    setup.template.settings:
      index.number_of_shards: 3
      index.number_of_replicas: 1
    setup.ilm.enabled: false
    setup.ilm.policy_name: "denic-index-policy"
    setup.dashboards.enabled: true
    filebeat.autodiscover.providers:
    - type: kubernetes
      node: ${HOSTNAME}
      hints.default_config.enabled: "false"
      templates:
      - condition.equals.kubernetes.namespace: "filebeat"
        config:
        - type: container
          paths: ["/var/log/containers/*-${data.kubernetes.container.id}.log"]
          multiline.pattern: '^[[:space:]]'
          multiline.negate: false
          multiline.match: after
          exclude_lines: ["^\\s+[\\-`('.|_]"]  # drop asciiart lines
    processors:
    - add_cloud_metadata: {}
    - add_host_metadata:
        netinfo.enabled: false
    - add_docker_metadata: {}
    - add_kubernetes_metadata:
        host: ${HOSTNAME}
        matchers:
        - logs_path:
            logs_path: "/var/log/containers/"
  daemonSet:
    podTemplate:
      spec:
        serviceAccountName: filebeat
        automountServiceAccountToken: true
        terminationGracePeriodSeconds: 30
        dnsPolicy: ClusterFirstWithHostNet
        hostNetwork: true # Allows to provide richer host metadata
        securityContext:
          runAsUser: 0
          # If using Red Hat OpenShift uncomment this:
          #privileged: true
        containers:
        - name: filebeat
          volumeMounts:
          - name: varlogcontainers
            mountPath: /var/log/containers
          - name: varlogpods
            mountPath: /var/log/pods
          - name: varlibdockercontainers
            mountPath: /var/lib/docker/containers
        volumes:
        - name: varlogcontainers
          hostPath:
            path: /var/log/containers
        - name: varlogpods
          hostPath:
            path: /var/log/pods
        - name: varlibdockercontainers
          hostPath:
            path: /var/lib/docker/containers
---
apiVersion: rbac.authorization.k8s.io/v1
kind: ClusterRole
metadata:
rules:
- apiGroups: [""] # "" indicates the core API group
  resources:
  - namespaces
  - pods
  verbs:
  - get
  - watch
  - list
---
apiVersion: v1
kind: ServiceAccount
metadata:
---
apiVersion: rbac.authorization.k8s.io/v1
kind: ClusterRoleBinding
metadata:
subjects:
- kind: ServiceAccount
roleRef:
  kind: ClusterRole
  apiGroup: rbac.authorization.k8s.io
1 Like

lol okay I just figured out that if I create another namespace of the name for example filebeat-raul it works as well...
Which means that ECK is somehow giving only permissions to create indicies that start with filebeat-*. Can this be changed somewhere?

Hi @raulgs, thanks for your question. I was able to reproduce your issue and fix it, see suggestions below.

ECK will create a separate user for each Beat deployment. Roles and permissions of that user are limited, so that it can only access what Beat needs by default. As those permissions contain references to particular indices (beattype-*, in your case filebeat-*), if you change the default pattern the Beat user might not have the right permissions anymore.

That's the case in your manifest - the index to be created will be some_namespace-filebeat-date which of course doesn't match the pattern mentioned and results in the permissions issue reported in the log: action [indices:admin/auto_create] is unauthorized for user [default-filebeat-beat-user].

There are few ways this can be worked around:

• don't change the index and pattern
  • change index and pattern to match the default pattern in the role (filebeat-*)
  • create your own user and set username and password in the config.output
  • change the default role permissions to include your pattern, like below. You can check out the docs for more details. Note that this will require maintaining that Secret by yourself, ie. if future Beats require different permissions, future ECK versions might add new roles (with different _v.. suffix) that will also require updating.
apiVersion: elasticsearch.k8s.elastic.co/v1
kind: Elasticsearch
metadata:
  name: elasticsearch
spec:
  auth:
    roles:
    - secretName: filebeat-role-override
---
kind: Secret
apiVersion: v1
metadata:
  name: filebeat-role-override
stringData:
  roles.yml: |-
    eck_beat_es_filebeat_role_v77:
      applications: []
      cluster:
      - monitor
      - manage_ilm
      - manage_ml
      indices:
      - names:
        - filebeat-*
        - *-filebeat-* # manually added
        privileges:
        - manage
        - read
3 Likes

Awesome thank you for this workaround.

For the future it would be nice if the indices names in the role would be set to what is defined filebeat ECK manifest. The operator could for example check if there has been set some specific name and update the role accordingly.

Glad to help! Let us know if you run into any other issues.

As to the improvement you've suggested - we did consider it and while I agree that this would make UX better we are hesitant to "inspect" Beat configs. They are very rich, offer a lot of possible customisations and being able to derive the right values (that often conditionally depend on other values) for every Beat, across all previous, current and future versions is a maintenance burden that we can't commit to today.

1 Like

How can I figure out the current name of the managed role?

The name of the role follows the following format: eck_beat_es_TYPE_role_VERSION where:

• TYPE is filebeat in your case
  • VERSION is defined according to the associated Elasticsearch version, see the code here
1 Like

perfect thanks a lot for your fast response