Filebeat multiline parsing problem

Hi community,

I started to use filebeat to get my tomcats logs into ELK. It works fine for some logs but when I am trying to use multiline pattern, I got troubles.

I followed the documentation to get all lines of one event

Here is the log :

05-Mar-2018 10:57:59.285 INFO [ajp-nio-9080-exec-9] org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.authenticate Exception performing authentication. Retrying...
 javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is java.net.SocketException: Connection reset]; remaining name 'dc=xxxx,dc=yyyy,dc=zzzz'
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.authenticate(LdapClient.java:163)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.connect(LdapCtx.java:2788)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.ensureOpen(LdapCtx.java:2696)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.ensureOpen(LdapCtx.java:2670)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.doSearch(LdapCtx.java:1941)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.searchAux(LdapCtx.java:1844)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.c_search(LdapCtx.java:1769)
        at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.ComponentDirContext.p_search(ComponentDirContext.java:392)
        at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.search(PartialCompositeDirContext.java:358)
        at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.search(PartialCompositeDirContext.java:341)
        at javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.search(InitialDirContext.java:267)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.getUserBySearch(JNDIRealm.java:1681)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.getUser(JNDIRealm.java:1517)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.getUser(JNDIRealm.java:1465)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.authenticate(JNDIRealm.java:1406)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.authenticate(JNDIRealm.java:1264)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.CombinedRealm.authenticate(CombinedRealm.java:192)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator.authenticate(FormAuthenticator.java:245)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:453)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:142)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:617)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn.invoke(SingleSignOn.java:240)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:518)
        at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AbstractAjpProcessor.process(AbstractAjpProcessor.java:844)
        at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:668)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1521)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1478)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:189)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:121)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:246)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:286)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:345)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.run(Connection.java:848)
        ... 1 more

Here is the filebeat.yml :

#================================ variable ===================================
path.home: /usr/share/filebeat
path.config: /etc/filebeat
#================================ Logging =====================================
logging.level: debug
logging.to_files: true

#================================ Config  =====================================
#filebeat.config.modules:
#  path: ${path.config}/modules.d/*.yml
#  reload.enabled: false

filebeat.prospectors:
- input_type: log
  document_type: tomcat_log
  paths:
    - /opt/test.out
  exclude_files: [".gz$"]

multiline:
  pattern: '^[[:space:]]+(at|\.{3})\b|^Caused by:'
  negate: false
  match: after

output.elasticsearch:
  hosts: ["DNS-ELK:9200"]
  index: "tomcat-%{+dd.MM.YYYY}"

#setup.template.settings:
#  index.number_of_shards: 3

setup.template.name: "filebeat"
setup.template.pattern: "filebeat-*"

DId I miss something ?

Regards

The indentation of the multiline part looks of. It needs to be on the same level as exclude_files for example as it can be defined for each prospector.

Hello,

Yes it works now.

Just another question. If I want to send the multiline events to logstash to add tags (e.g. environment), is it possible ? Should I use the same regex in logstash ?

Thanks

Regards

You can send your events to LS to do enrichment. I would still recommend you to do the multiline on the beats side as otherwise it could happen that events do not end up in the right order or different servers.

Thx for your reply

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.