Filebeat netflow module do not start after update to 7.11

Hi,
after updating the stack from 7.10.2 to 7.11 the netflow module will not start anymore.
The only message we see every 10 seconds in journal is

filebeat[1976620]: 2021-02-11T17:40:01.242+0100        ERROR        [reload]        cfgfile/list.go:99        Error creating runner from config: Error getting config for fileset netflow/log: Error interpreting the template of the input: template: text:8:5: executing "text" at <.internal_networks>: map has no entry for key "internal_networks"

Hoppe that sombody can help.

Best regards
Uwe

was able to fix it.
With 7.11 the ../modules/netflow.yml changed

I had to add

internal_networks:
        - private

in my existing yml file

Just had the same issue.
The new variable is neither documented nor a note in the upgrade guide or breaking changes!

I opened a bug for the startup failure and missing docs for the new variable: [filebeat][netflow] filebeat does't start when internal_networks variable isn't defined in config file · Issue #24094 · elastic/beats · GitHub

I'm running filebeat 7.11.2 in docker/docker-compose and am getting the same error still.

Error:

2021-03-12T03:38:31.569Z INFO [publisher] pipeline/module.go:113 Beat name: b0947ece6aad
2021-03-12T03:38:31.571Z INFO beater/filebeat.go:117 Enabled modules/filesets: netflow (log), ()
2021-03-12T03:38:31.571Z INFO instance/beat.go:437 filebeat stopped.
2021-03-12T03:38:31.571Z ERROR instance/beat.go:971 Exiting: Error getting config for fileset netflow/log: Error interpreting the template of the input: template: text:8:5: executing "text" at <.internal_networks>: map has no entry for key "internal_networks"

Below are my configs:

Docker-compose:

filebeat:
image: docker.elastic.co/beats/filebeat:7.11.2
command: filebeat -e -strict.perms=false
volumes:
  - type: bind
    source: ./beats/filebeat.yml
    target: /usr/share/filebeat/filebeat.yml
    read_only: true
  - type: bind
    source: ./beats/netflow.yml
    target: /usr/share/filebeat/netflow.yml
    read_only: true
ports:
  - "2055:2055"
networks:
  - elk
depends_on:
  - elasticsearch

filebeat.yml:

filebeat.config.modules:
  enabled: true
  path: ${path.config}/modules.d/*.yml

filebeat.modules:
  - module: netflow

setup.template.enabled: true

output.elasticsearch:
  hosts: ["whatever:9200"]

netflow.yml:

log:
    var:
      netflow_host: 0.0.0.0
      netflow_port: 2055
      # internal_networks specifies which networks are considered internal or private
      # you can specify either a CIDR block or any of the special named ranges listed
      # at: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/defining-processors.html#condition-network
      internal_networks:
        - private

Dear All,
I have a similar issue. I upgraded from 7.10.2 to 7.11.2
Netflow didn't work, but found this article and changed /etc/filebeat/modules.d/netflow.yml
This is the content:

# Module: netflow
# Docs: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/7.10/filebeat-module-netflow.html

log:
    var:
      netflow_host: 0.0.0.0
      netflow_port: 2055
      internal_networks:
        - private

When I run filebeat setup --modules netflow I get this error

Exiting: Error getting config for fileset netflow/log: Error interpreting the template of the input: template: text:8:5: executing "text" at <.internal_networks>: map has no entry for key "internal_networks"

Any help is welcome.

Kind regards
Hans

@mayer , I am also on 7.11.2 but it is working. The only diffrence is that I use the interface adresse instead of 0.0.0.0

Best regards
Uwe

Hi Uwe,

thanks coming back to my question. I tried your suggestion but it didn't help. But I have a workaround. I am not sure if good or bad, but it works. I restored the file /usr/share/filebeat/module/netflow/log/config/netflow.yml from my backup before the time of upgrade. And now it's working. This is the difference which was inserted in the last release:

7a8,14
> {{if .internal_networks}}
> internal_hosts:
> {{range .internal_networks}}
> - '{{ . }}'
> {{end}}
> {{end}}
> 

// Hans

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.