Filebeat not pushing to elastic - docker compose

I'm trying to get filebeat data to elastic. I've followed the instructions and I have filebeat running in a container. I'd ultimately like it to grab stdout from my other containers and push that to elastic.co but first off i just want to see something working.

Right now the container is running and showing stack monitoring from filebeat in the terminal but I am not seeing anything on kibana.

docker-compose.yml

filebeat:
image: docker.elastic.co/beats/filebeat:7.4.1
command:
  - "-e"
  - "--strict.perms=false"
networks:
  - kong-net
volumes:
  - "./services/filebeat/filebeat.yml:/usr/share/filebeat/filebeat.yml:ro"
# needed to persist filebeat tracking data :
  - "filebeat_data:/usr/share/filebeat/data:rw"
# needed to access all docker logs (read only) :
  - "/var/lib/docker/devicemapper/devicemapper/data:/usr/share/dockerlogs/data:ro"
# needed to access additional informations about containers
  - "/var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock"

filebeat.yml

filebeat.inputs: 
  - type: docker 
    combine_partial: true 
    containers: 
      path: "/usr/share/dockerlogs/data" 
      stream: "stdout" 
      ids: 
        - "*" 
    exclude_files: ['\.gz$'] 
    ignore_older: 10m
processors: #decode the log field (sub JSON document) if JSON encoded, then maps it's fields to elasticsearch fields 
  - decode_json_fields:
    fields: ["log", "message"] 
    target: ""
    #overwrite existing target elasticsearch fields while decoding json fields 
    overwrite_keys: true
  - add_docker_metadata:
      host: "unix:///var/run/docker.sock"
# setup filebeat to send output to logstash output.logstash: hosts: ["logstash"]
cloud.id: "my_testt:secret_key"
cloud.auth: "elastic:secret"

processors:
# decode the log field (sub JSON document) if JSONencoded, then maps it's fields to elasticsearch fields
- decode_json_fields:
    fields: ["log"]
    target: ""
# overwrite existing target elasticsearch fields while decoding json fields
    overwrite_keys: true
- add_docker_metadata: ~

I've done some tweaking and I put filebeat in debug mode.

I am now generating logs and pushing them to Kibana. I'm just not sure how to enable the logstash module on the filebeat logs when using docker compose.

Could you please share the debug logs?

I am seeing my logs pushing through to elastic. I just need to figure out how to get them to come through using the logstash module when using docker and docker-compose

Also, it is working when i run the docker-compose on my local machine but when i try run the same thing in rancher i don't see any logs coming through to kibana

Perhaps Your output section looks odd, you are trying to use cloud auth syntax instead of normal logstash output

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/logstash-output.html

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.