Filebeat-oss 7.5.2 not parsing string as json

I've put in about 6 hours trying to troubleshoot this whole deployment and keep running in circles. I have some containers running in Docker and I've deployed Filebeat-oss:7.5.2 to forward the docker logs.

My containers write json formatted log entries to stdout which Docker then writes to a log file as a string stored within it's own json formatted log entry. Here is an example of a log entry docker writes to disk where my application's message is contained within the first "log" key:

{"log":"{\"message\": \"Received task: tasks.scrape_prices[3bc29ecf-4dcc-4317-b690-6aa47bb0761b]  \"}\n","stream":"stdout","time":"2020-01-24T01:32:14.6139176Z"}
{"log":"{\"message\": \"Starting Price Scraper...\", \"task_id\": \"3bc29ecf-4dcc-4317-b690-6aa47bb0761b\", \"task_name\": \"scrape_prices\", \"timestamp\": 1579829534.6769736, \"logger\": \"tasks\", \"level\": \"info\"}\n","stream":"stdout","time":"2020-01-24T01:32:14.6776285Z"}
{"log":"{\"message\": \"Web driver was terminated.\", \"task_id\": \"3bc29ecf-4dcc-4317-b690-6aa47bb0761b\", \"task_name\": \"scrape_prices\", \"logger\": \"ProductScraper\", \"level\": \"info\", \"timestamp\": 1579829534.7955523}\n","stream":"stdout","time":"2020-01-24T01:32:14.796053Z"}

I think I've configured filebeat to look into the "log" key and parse json but it doesn't seem to be doing so. Here is my filebeat.yml file that is built for the filebeat image in Docker. (Some config has been removed regarding Elasticsearch output)

filebeat.inputs:
- type: docker
  enabled: true
  containers:
    stream: all # can be all, stdout or stderr
    ids:
      - '*'
filebeat.autodiscover:
  providers:
      hints.enabled: true
processors:
  - add_docker_metadata: ~
  - add_locale:
      format: offset
  - decode_json_fields:
      fields: ["log"]
      target: "jslog"
      max_depth: 4
      process_array: true
      add_error_key: true
logging.level: debug
...(truncated)...

Here is part of the docker-compose file that deploys this filebeat service:

version: "3.7"
services:
  ... (truncated) ...
  filebeat:
    build:
      context: .
      dockerfile: Dockerfile-filebeat
    user: root
    volumes:
      - filebeat:/usr/share/filebeat/data
      - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
      - /var/lib/docker/containers/:/var/lib/docker/containers/:ro
    # disable strict permission checks
    command: ["--strict.perms=false"]
volumes:
  filebeat:

This populated Elasticsearch/Kibana but the "log" part of the message is not decoded as expected and displays as a string.

1. Is the 'decode_json_fields' processor supposed to work the way I think it should? Should it be breaking 'message' into multiple keys in this record/document?
  2. Does the OSS version of filebeat even support this processor?

Hi @n1029676 :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forums! First of all, this feature is included in the OSS version.

The very first thing I see is that your log value is not a JSON object but a string.

You are maybe lacking this too https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/filebeat-input-log.html#filebeat-input-log-config-json

Well, I had tried putting those three lines (commented below) at the root of the configuration (no indentation) and removed them later on after it didn't seem to make a difference. After a rest, I tried to put it beneath the inputs entry and now it is starting to parse it. I'm still having some issues like duplicated logs and some non-json formatted logs appearing but I'll keep working on that.

For posterity these are the changes I made:

filebeat.inputs:
  enabled: true
  containers:
    stream: all
    ids:
      - 'd8794db256b5*'
  json.keys_under_root: true   #<== Addition
  json.add_error_key: true     #<== Addition
  json.message_key: log        #<== Addition

I'll post my full configuration for others to reference after I get it working.

Thanks @Mario_Castro

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.