Filebeat process with `logging.json = true` does not emit pure JSON to stdout

Hi all:

I am using filebeat in docker. I use it to send all my containers' logs from /some/docker/dir/*-json.log to logstash. To make this work simply, I configure all of my services to write single-line, JSON log messages.

However, when setting logging.json = true in filebeat.yml, i get:

2017/12/19 22:39:31.688518 filebeat.go:261: {"level":"WARN","message":"Filebeat is unable to load the Ingest Node pipelines for the configured modules because the Elasticsearch output is not configured/enabled. If you have already loaded the Ingest Node pipelines or are using Logstash pipelines, you can ignore this warning.","timestamp":"2017-12-19T22:39:31Z"}

when I expect a pure JSON string,

{"level":"WARN","message":"Filebeat is unable to load the Ingest Node pipelines for the configured modules because the Elasticsearch output is not configured/enabled. If you have already loaded the Ingest Node pipelines or are using Logstash pipelines, you can ignore this warning.","timestamp":"2017-12-19T22:39:31Z"}

The first statement is not JSON, it's a string with some JSON contained within.

How can I get filebeat to log pure JSON?

Thanks!

1 Like

I didn't realize it was previously broken, but it will be fixed in 6.2 because I refactored the logging code. You can test it from a snapshot build.

2 Likes

awesome, thanks! i'm not in a rush on this change. i'll wait until 6.2.x, assuming that's sometime in the next week or two! :slight_smile:

Hey @andrewkroh,

Do you have a commit (or commits?) to track for this?

Also, did this by chance make it into the 6.1.2 release, or are we definitely waiting for 6.2 to roll?

This will be released in 6.2. The initial PR was https://github.com/elastic/beats/pull/590.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation! :smiley:

Is there any sort of ETA for the 6.2 releases, or is it still nebulous at this point?

I think it will be sometime early in February.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.