Fill placeholder on messages with partial field value of different field in Logstash

Hello,

I have placeholders in a log message. The message gets sent with a message extension which should replace these. The placeholders are numbers in brackets. The numbers inside should represent the line number of the message extension.

What I have:

message: "This is an [1] to show you the [2] I need for replacing these [3]."

message_extension: "example
                    filter configuration
                    placeholders"

What I want:

message: "This is an example to show you the filter configuration I need for replacing these placeholders."

Thank you!

Are there always 3 substitutions?

No, it varies from none to 4.

That makes things harder.

But does the message_extension always align with the [N] parts in message?

Gimme an hour or so

There is a comma between each line so if there are multiple extensions there is alway a line with just a comma in between. Like that

example
filter configuration
placeholders

Sorry for not claryfying this earlier, I just noticed this too. This structure is constant. It would not be a problem for me, though, removing these commas so equaling the N from "[N]" with the line number from the field "message_extension" is possible.

This the best I got without resorting to a Ruby filter.
It fails if the order of substitutions is not strictly L -> R
Ignore the dissect filter, I just used it to get the two fields when using the generator input.

input {
  generator {
    count => 1
    message => "This is an [1] to show you the [2] I need for replacing these [3].||example
filter configuration
placeholders" }
}

filter {
  dissect {
    mapping => {
      message => '%{[msg]}||%{[msgext]}'
    }
    remove_field => "[message]"
  }
  mutate {
    gsub => ["[msgext]", "\n,\n", "øåø", "[msg]", "\[\d\]", "øåø"]
    split => {
      "[msgext]" => "øåø"
      "[msg]" => "øåø"
    }
  }
  if [msgext][3] {
    mutate {
      add_field => { "[message]" => "%{[msg][0]}%{[msgext][0]}%{[msg][1]}%{[msgext][1]}%{[msg][2]}%{[msgext][2]}%{[msg][3]}%{[msgext][3]}%{[msg][4]}"}
    }
  } else if [msgext][2] {
    mutate {
      add_field => { "[message]" => "%{[msg][0]}%{[msgext][0]}%{[msg][1]}%{[msgext][1]}%{[msg][2]}%{[msgext][2]}%{[msg][3]}"}
    }
  } else if [msgext][1] {
    mutate {
      add_field => { "[message]" => "%{[msg][0]}%{[msgext][0]}%{[msg][1]}%{[msgext][1]}%{[msg][2]}"}
    }
  } else if [msgext][0] {
    mutate {
      add_field => { "[message]" => "%{[msg][0]}%{[msgext][0]}%{[msg][1]}"}
    }
  }
}

output { stdout { codec => rubydebug } }

Gives:

{
           "msg" => [
        [0] "This is an ",
        [1] " to show you the ",
        [2] " I need for replacing these ",
        [3] "."
    ],
      "sequence" => 0,
    "@timestamp" => 2018-07-23T13:04:05.677Z,
        "msgext" => [
        [0] "example",
        [1] "filter configuration",
        [2] "placeholders"
    ],
      "@version" => "1",
          "host" => "Elastics-MacBook-Pro.local",
       "message" => "This is an example to show you the filter configuration I need for replacing these placeholders."
}

Thank you very much. Let me just understand the procedure. So with the mutate filter you are transforming both fields into an array , right?

What does "øåø" actually mean? Just a mark where to split?

I have other indexes where the field message_extension already is an array. This would mean I would have to comment out the mutate filter, correct? However, the if condition never seems to be true then because no field is added.

Turns out there was a little misconfiguration on my side. It seems to work well, thank you.

Yeah. It is a quirk. The mutate split does not take a regex arg but gsub does so one has to resort to using gsub to replace the (possibly varying) characters with a known but improbable (as in the log data) invariant string øåø (you can have fun with other multibyte glyphs from UTF 8).
Then you can split on that invariant.

A Ruby filter can do this in a few lines if you prefer - I can help with that - it can also check whether message_extension is an array or not.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.